Chapter 44

I've uploaded again! Please make sure to like and comment if you enjoyed it!

I will be updating weekly now so make sure to add to your library to get the notifications!

S. A. A

                               °°°°°°°♧°°°°°°

"What if he's not here?" Demir asked quietly, but his deep voice still echoed against the dark walls and I felt the lump form in my throat at the thought.

What were we to do if we couldn't find him or couldn't find a way back to Aaru? 

I couldn't bear to think of the next step.

Instead, I shook away the thoughts and steeled myself before walking further in.

"She'll find him." Emut answered firmly, further reinforcing the determination.

The alleys were dark and cold and I shivered slightly as a gust of wind passed, silently wishing I had the warmth of Sue's scarf around me yet again. It was only when I shivered again that I realised I would never feel the warmth of it again and I sighed into myself.

Demir and Emut both seemingly noticed my shivers and I listened to the sound of movement across the walls as they moved closer slightly from both sides, the heat from their form engulfing me. They kept a small distance, but stayed close enough and I smiled at the gesture, placing my frost-bitten hands into the hoodie pocket.

My breaths were coming out now in white puffs of smoke and I pulled the hood up to prevent the ice from nipping at my ears. With every step we covered, I could feel the panic building within me.

It was only when I saw a familiar large army jacket strewn across a form, that I let out a small sound before moving closer. Demir and Emut followed my actions and I neared, looking down.

The disheveled form was lying down next to a skip bin; their entire body and face was covered with the army jacket, but it was clear that they were lying in foetal form. I looked back, frowning slightly.

"I think this is him." I whispered out uncertainly, not knowing what to do next. I couldn't exactly remove the jacket from him and I watched as Demir looked to Emut who moved to stand in front of me and I stepped back in response.

"It's the only way." He muttered before reaching his hand up hesitantly and pulling the army jacket down. Both him and Demir looked to me then to see my response and I peered down to take in the sight. It was only when Emut moved back slightly that I pursed my lips and looked to the two.

"It's him." I said with a loud sigh of relief, looking down to the familiar face that had plagued my life ever since it entered.

His eyes were still closed, despite the intrusion and his hands were tucked under his gaunt cheek. His beard had grown notably longer since the last time I had seen him. I moved closer then, crouching besides his form and laying a hand on his arm.

I felt his bony limb tense at this before his eyes snapped over and he let out a sputtering cough. I let out a small sound of surprise as he did, tapping at his back as he let out a series of violent coughs. He stopped finally before turning to me, his breaths coming out as wheezy pants. His frail shoulders moved up and down with the action. I sat silently as he recuperated, trembling slightly as those dark murky eyes glanced intensely at me. His eyebrows furrowed, deepening the wrinkles on his forehead.

"You shouldn't be here." He spoke and I let out a subtle gasp upon hearing his raspy voice again. Only, this time I had no option to offer water to him, even if I wished to. I opened my mouth to explain our predicament, but the sound of movement made me turn my head and I watched as Demir crouched down, a curious look in his eyes.