Chapter 70

I waded through the corridor to the stairs with a yawn. Despite the tense situation, I was still tired and worn out from the fight with the Ammit. I wanted to relax a bit before night reached.

I walked towards my bedroom, smiling at the arched windows that let light streak through, warming me up. I let my gaze slip to the terrace where I could hear talking. Looking in curiosity, I saw Demir sat on the railing as per usual, but he was joined with Negus this time who stood on the far right, speaking to him about something that was too quiet to hear. It seemed to be both a tense and private discussion. I moved out of sight as Negus walked back and past me as he travelled towards the stairs.

I watched his retreating form before looking to the terrace and tepidly walking out towards Demir, who was facing the sky.

"Do you make it a habit to listen in on conversations?" Demir's voice rung out, despite the fact that he wasn't looking to me. I stilled slightly in my steps before shrugging sheepishly and walking to the railing.

"I didn't hear anything." I muttered honestly, leaning against the railing and Demir scoffed.

"And, that suddenly excuses you?" He asked poignantly and I shook my head with a sigh.

"No, sorry." I muttered again, sounding apologetic to which Demir turned his moonlit gaze to me, an eyebrow raised.

"I wonder how much it tormented you to apologise to me." He mused and I let out a laugh, brushing my hair back.

"You have no idea. I half contemplated jumping off the terrace as an alternative." I joked to which he turned back to the sky.

"Go ahead, but I won't catch you this time." He murmured and I rolled my eyes before looking to his gaze on the moon, making me recall his words from months back.

"Sometimes, I can still feel it. If I'm in my room at night in darkness, I can sense the urge."

"Does the darkness feel more consuming with the thin moon?" I asked carefully, aware that it could be a stupid or insensitive question.

Demir's gaze snapped to mine, but I kept my gaze on the view in front of me as his eyes assessed me.

"Why did you think of that?" He asked, evading my question and I shrugged heavily.

"I don't know, I remember you telling me about the darkness and- now- the moonlight is barely here, so I was just thinking." I rambled weakly before turning to Demir after the admission. His gaze was scrutinizing for a moment before he raised an eyebrow.

"Careful, Hanna, too much thinking might damage your meagre brain." He remarked mockingly and I pursed my lips sadly, noting how he had evaded the questioning yet again.

"Closing off is equally as damaging, trust me." I commented quietly. Demir's expression dimmed at this and he shrugged.

"I think you should get rest before tonight." He ended our conversation abruptly, his jaw clenched in annoyance.

I shook my head in protest, opening my mouth to speak, but he looked to me then with a gaze that told me to keep quiet and so I did, watching carefully as he got off the railing and walked away, his form nudging me.

It was a few moments after he left that I processed what happened and let out a sigh. I shouldn't have pushed, but I couldn't help it. I made my way back into the hallway and towards my bedroom numbly.

"Hanna!"

I smiled genuinely, turning at Arun's voice as he walked towards me. I opened the bedroom door before looking at him.

"Hi, Arun." I said sweetly before turning my gaze to the bedroom I had grown to miss.

The sleeping arrangement at Bomani's residence was nice to have with the others, but it lacked the comfort and softness of my own bed.