《 𝙿𝚛𝚘𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚞𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 1 》✔︎

" Thief! Thief!" a tall, burly man sprinted after the teenage girl hidden behind a black hood. His grease stained apron clung to his body, his face was bright red as he screamed after the girl.

The bag of fruit bounced up and down as the girl ran, dodging and swearing as she pushed past the pedestrians on the sidewalk. Many yelled out to the girl, a stream of profanities pouring from their yells of disapproval. Hands blindly reached out ,trying to grab her. But she was too fast, too lithe and nimble as she brushed past their outstretched fingers.

Her small yet muscular figure manoeuvred through the people, her head hung low as she blended into the shadows. She moved with a calculated grace, each step as if she floated on air. The shouting of the man that had chased her grew faint. She was in the all clear, for now.

Don't let your gaurd down. She scolded. Alert, be alert. She would chant. Always.

She breathed a sigh of relief as she looked left and right before turning down an alleyway. The darkness and mist brought a wave of comfort as the sound of her combat boots hitting the wet cement was barely heard over the sounds of the city.

Star City. Home to the legendary Justice League member, The Green Arrow. The vigilante who carried a bow and never missed a shot. Star City was not safe by any means. Rivaling the dark and crime infested city of Gotham, Star City was a magnet for those with stone cold hearts. No matter how many the archer put behind bars, the crime rate never seemed to dwindle.

The girl pulled her cloak tighter around her body. Her breath turning into a foggy cloud in front of her face as goosebumps trailed along her skin.

Alert she reminded, always alert.

Her ears perked at the sound of heavy footsteps trailing behind her. He was cautious, yet always distinguishable. He was light on his feet but not like her. She knew exactly who it was. She felt his piercing glare on her back the minute her hand slipped into the Deli Clerk's shelf. It was inevitable, she knew she was going to get caught.

After witnessing her parents murder at such a tender age and with no recollection of where her older brother Ryder was, she was alone. Alone and scared.

Foster home to foster home Harper was lugged. She never stayed at a place long enough to call them family and never a house to call a home. On her 16th birthday Harper did what all teenagers do at that age. She rebelled.

She fled, packed what was left of her belongings and never looked back. Hidden from the system and the police  Harper lived on the streets for years without getting caught. That is until now.

" Stop!" He called from behind her, his voice low but rough. Her shoulders tensed but she didn't dare tremble. He wouldn't get the satisfaction of seeing the fear buried in her eyes. Her hands slowly raised into the air, a sign meaning she meant no harm.

Play the fool before you fool the fool.

Her body turned slowly. His sleek bow rested in his right hand, his mask and hood covering his face,obscuring his identity. He stood tall, intimidating, maybe that's why everyone feared him. Even if he was suppose to be the good guy.

" Why are you stealing?" He questioned. Foolish she thought. Stalling." Didn't your parents ever teach you stealing is wrong."

Her nostrils flared as she balled her fists. Her jaw clenched ,a familiar rage burned in her eyes. She wanted to lash out at him, to yell and scream that they were dead and that he was a part of the reason that they were. But her mouth remained shut, her eyes ablaze.