Chapter 4

The Ables arrived at the Preston's small Mansion. Yes, a small town has a bunch of small Mansions. White walls with grey roofing, three stories high with a little star gazing spot on the roof. They pulled up the long driveway, then stopped right outside the entrance. They had people in red vale clothes that politely opened the doors and took the keys to park it.

Peter held out his arm for his wife, she took it. They walked up the steps and entered the doors that were getting held open by butlers. Quill was in awe, they also had a small Mansion but they didn't employ butlers or maids. Their mom did most of the cleaning and him and his sisters also helped from time to time. One of the Vales winked at him and he could feel his cheeks redden. He held out his arms for his sisters to take and they flanked either side of him.

"That guy just winked at me!" He whispered excitedly.

"Such a guy's man." Page joked.

"Whaaat, noooo." Quill said as they crossed the threshold. The foyer opened up to the living room with a huge dining room/ballroom attached to it. He took in the pictures on the walls and the furniture had an old yet now feeling. Quill could feel everyone's eyes on their family as they walked in but mainly his sisters and him. His sisters then linked arms together and went off in their own direction to talk to others.

"Hey Quill," a familiar voice said behind him. Quill turned around to see Brooks standing right behind him. Brooks took his hand and kissed the knuckles. This made Quill blush.

"I-I'm not a girl." He stuttered.

"So?" He smirked. "You look stunning." He held his hand for just a couple more seconds till his sister came with her posse. Well her vampire posse since this was a vampire only event.

"Quill!" Heather gave him a tight hug and left her arm around his shoulder. Quill was a little uncomfortable and saw Brooks glare at his sister. She pulled him onto a couch in the living room. Heather, Kiley and Olive surrounded him, taking up all of the seats. Oakley and Jasper sat in two armchairs while Brooks sat on the arm of Oakley's chair. Brooks held a steady glare at his sister but everytime he looked at Quill his gaze softened.

Oakley and Jasper kept blank expressions but Brooks could tell that they were trying not to glare at Quill for taking the attention of their girlfriends. If only they knew he was gay.

"Time for dinner!" A butler with a raspy voice called. Brooks moved fast and offered his arm to Quill before his sister could take it. They both sat next to each other, really close to each other. Quill was glad that Page and Sarah sat to the right of him. Heather was very touchy.

The help brought out a light soup for the appetizer. All of the adults had their own conversations from how rich they are to how the mutt population was growing. But Brooks and Quill were in their own little world. They talked about his old school and a little bit about their pasts, like in the 40's etc. Before Quill knew it, they went through the second dish which was steak cooked rare. So it was super bloody, probably Quill's favorite dish.

Now they were eating O positive sorbe, Sarah tapped Quill's thigh so that Page and Sarah could tease him. When Quill finally got out of the twin's wrath, Brooks had a spoonful of blood sorbe ready to go into his mouth. It was wayyyyyy too soon for Quill.

"Where's the bathroom?" He asked politely with his hand on Brooks' wrist.

Brooks looked confused but recovered, "Down the hall on the right."

"Thanks," Quill nearly ran to it and locked the door behind him. He slid down the door onto the floor. He felt bad for leaving but it felt like it was moving too fast. Quill knew he was just flirting and has been since he met him. He doesn't want another flirt for a boyfriend. Jason was that and Quill can't handle it. He'll probably go behind his back if they did date.

"I should probably get out of the bathroom now," Quill said to himself. "But I don't want to go to dinner right away." He picked himself off the floor and stared at himself in the mirror. Yes, vampires have a reflection. He turned on the water, cupping the stream to splash on his face. Drying his face, he unlocked the door and peeked his head out. No one was in the hall.

Quill took a right and another right down a hall with picture frames galore of Heather, Brooks, their older sister that probably went to college, and their parents throughout the ages. Some were paintings of them while others were extremely old photos. Quill found a section of baby Brooks, toddler Brooks, pre-teen Brooks and now Brooks. One caught his eye when Brooks was with his sisters on the beach shirtless with Finding Nemo swim trunks. He was threatening to throw Heather into the ocean. The funny thing was that this was a pretty recent photo. He giggled out loud and heard Brooks footsteps coming down the hall.

"When was this?" He asked.

"Five years ago."

"Who's this?" Quill pointed to the girl next to them laughing. Brooks' eyes hardened and Quill could sense this. "You don't have to tell me."

"It's ok," He put his hands in his pockets. His flirty, brave self gone, instead there was a hurt shielded Brooks left. "That's my older sister, Marry. She fell in love with Knox's older brother and got pregnant. My Father was furious and killed him, then sent my sister away to be locked up and her child killed." Brooks' hands were out of his pockets and furled into fists. So much venom was put into the word father. Quill would have never guessed but this did make sense why Brooks hates Knox so much and vise versa. They blame each other for what happened to their siblings.

"I'm so sorry," Quill took his fists and gently unfurled them. Slipping his fingers into his, Brooks tensed at this but slowly relaxed. Brooks was looking down at their hands so Quill brought his chin up gently to look at him.

Brooks did something that surprised Quill even more. He hugged him, it wasn't one of his possessive hugs or anything like that. It was a genuine hug and it made Quill happy. Then his shoulders started to shake and a wet spot formed on his shoulder. Brooks was crying, this astonished Brooks too. He was taught to never cry, to hold it in and if you did cry. You are no man, not even a vampire.

Quill wrapped his arms around Brooks and rubbed circles with one hand on his back and soothingly threaded his fingers into his hair. It took five minutes till his sobs turned into whimpers. He lightly pushed him back just a bit to look him in the face. Tears stained his cheeks making them puffy. Quill had a small smile on his face and wiped the tears off his cheeks.

"I shouldn't have cried, I'm sorry." Brooks said, finishing the wiping with his own sleeve.

"It makes sense you cried. It is ok to cry," Brooks was about to interrupt. "No, you don't have to bottle up your emotions and it is not right what happened to your sister. No one can blame you if you cry or not call you a man or whatever."

"I-" Brooks didn't know what to say. Quill was making him fall for him even more and it has only been a day. "You're so beautiful." He blurted.

"Tha-thanks." Quill blushed.

"Let's get back to the party." Brooks said and put back on his flirty confident self once more but Quill could see through it now.