sixteen

» sixteen

Sitting on the comfortable chairs of this auditorium, I'm watching Beckett play at his recital.

It was pushed back a few days because of the bad weather here in Reno, California and in those few days I had not only cheated once, and lied to Mia even more than I have my entire life - I had slept with Rowan more times than I could count on my fingers.

For them to not suspect, I told another lie telling them that I was helping my mom out in her garden.

She doesn't have one and never will because she's very allergic to the direct contact of grass.

I sit beside Mia and we both show our admiration for Beckett's skills. She continuously leans over to my ear saying like 'wow.' 'he's amazing.' and I couldn't agree less. Midway through his show, I got a text from Gracie.

I don't take it out fully but half of it, and glance at the notification.

Gracie: idk where you are but listen to this -

The notification cuts off there. I gaze at Mia who is engrossed with Beckett's music and at Beckett who is engrossed with his own music. "Hey, I gotta pee. Tell me what I miss."

Mia nods at me then turns back to Beckett. I was luckily seating by the edge so I just get out of my seat and walk out the room. Standing outside by the enter doors, I get my phone out and continue reading the message.

Gracie: idk where you are but listen to this i found full keg by the gas station and brought it home but im not going to drink it until you get here bc i need a buddy and rowan wasnt available lol :)

I roll my eyes. What is wrong with that girl? I finish reading the text and flinch a little. Second best? The feeling is very familiar...

I walk back into the auditorium, and Beckett is finishing his last piece - the piece I'm in love with. I rush back into my seat, Mia doesn't even glance at me, and I hear how emotionally invested he is in his music.

I started crying.

I cried, and Mia wrapped her arm around me. "Haha, I feel you." her voice cracks a bit. As Beckett finishes, and does his final hurrah, Mia and I jump to our feet and clap him off. He bows and his green eyes light up when he sees us cheering him.

We run to the stage, up the stairs, (me ahead of Mia), and I jump into his arms and hug him tight. Kissing him on the lips, I say against them...

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."

He puts his head on my shoulder, caressing my hair. "About what, baby?"

"About being a horrible girlfriend."

He pulls us apart. Beckett smiles, glances at Mia, then back at me. "I can say the same about myself."

My eyebrow raises, but I ignore what he says, and peck him on the lips once more.

I rush down the stairs with Mia and Beckett, and while she congratulates him, I sneak away and text Gracie back.

Me: no thanks sorry maybe next time...

I lock my phone up and stare off at the distance. It's not worth losing the people I actually care about, I realized that today.

--------

You have high hopes for the best.....?????
Eh maybe.