Chapter 4

A T H E N A

"Yeah, you used to call me baby, now you calling me by name"

° ° °

I get off the stage and see that Chris and my parents already have entered the room through the curtain.

"Oh, my sweet baby girl! You did so well," mom squeals and wraps me in a bone-crushing hug. "Thank you, mom," I murmur with my face being squashed between her shoulder and neck.

My dad wraps his arms around us both. "You were amazing, I'm so proud of you," his deep voice says. "You sang it with so much emotion. Like wow, darling," she says and both of them let go of me.

Now it's Chris who hugs me. "I'm really proud of you," he murmurs in my ear. "You nailed it back there."

I chuckle and let go of him. "Thank you," I say to all three of them, "really. I appreciate it."

Throughout the night, I get felicitations of people saying how well I did. Every single compliment goes to my heart and I tell them how much I appreciate it.

At 11 PM, a big part of the people that have come, leave. I'm talking with Chris about his date, and the way his eyes light up makes me smile. We both hold a glass of champagne while talking and laugh about silly things.

A movement behind Chris' catches my attention, and I look behind him to see the one and only, Vincenzo. Our eyes meet for a split second, and in that second the world around me stops spinning. His eyes move to Chris' hand around my waist and he looks away, his jaw firmly clenched.

I grit my teeth and force myself to look away when I see how Nicole holds on to him like her life depends on him. "What's wrong?" Chris asks when he sees my expression.

"Asshole, three o'clock."

Chris looks in his direction and then back at me, his eyes soft. "Do you want to go to another place?" he asks. I press my lips together and shake my head.

"Nah, I shouldn't show that he gets to me."

I'm not weak anymore.

"I'm going to the restroom," I tell Chris and put my glass away. "Alright," he says and let's go of me. I'm a little tipsy from all the glasses champagne I drank, but not that tipsy that I can't walk anymore.

I go up the gigantic stairs to the restroom and enter. "Wow," I whisper under my breath. Even the fucking toilets are beautiful.

After I did my business, I get out of the stall and halt in my tracks when I see Nicole washing her hands. I clench my fists and walk over to the sink, letting the water run.

Nicole glances twice at me. "Oh, hey! Didn't see you there," she smiles. I send her a closed lipped smile that's rather forced. I wet my hands and reach for the soap. 

"You did a good job over there," she says, "when you sang."

You were talking the whole damn time. How would you know?

"Thank you," I force myself to say and send her a small, fake smile. It's an awkward silence. "My boyfriend thinks the same way," she says and dries her hands.

Boyfriend.

Fucking boyfriend.

I have to contain myself from attacking her and ripping her hair out. I want to laugh in her face and tell her Vincenzo isn't the type to do the boyfriend thing and that he's going to break her heart, but then I realize that they've been together for more than a year.

"Glad to hear that," is all I say before I follow her actions by drying my hands. I feel so stupid all of a sudden. But it makes sense. Why would Vincenzo date a 18-year-old back at the time? 

All those things that he said to me were just lies. He just wanted me for my body, and I was so stupid enough to let him have his way. 

"I must be going, he's waiting for me," she says. Her eyes shine bright with happiness, and I can't blame her. She can call Vincenzo her boyfriend, a man that everyone wants. Too bad his personality doesn't match his looks.

She's so happy, and I want to be happy for her, because she has found such happiness but can't.

I hate her.

"It was a pleasure to meet you," she smiles and exits the restroom. She wasn't this friendly to me when we meet a year and a half ago.

I doubt that she remembers me. I look at myself in the mirror and take a deep breath.

You are strong.

Don't let him intimidate you. Don't be a fool.

He's just an old man.

I give myself a little heads-up and exit the toilet, on my way downstairs. My heels click against the marble floor and the fabric of my dress feels like silk against my legs.

I pass a big balcony and I can't resist the urge of walking towards it and enjoy the fresh air of the night.

I lean against the pillar and enjoy the sight. I close my eyes, letting out a content sigh.

"The view is breathtaking, isn't it?"

That voice. Shit.

I swallow thickly and subtly clench my thighs together at the sound of his velvety voice sounding through the air.

I forgot how rich his accent was and how he could take down any woman by just saying one word. His voice does things with my body that I can't describe, but I won't show it.

"Yes, it is," I try to say firmly and keep my eyes in front of me. In the corner of my eye, I see a dark shadow move closer to the balcony, standing by the other pillar.

What the fuck is he doing here? Shouldn't he be with Nicole or something?

A silence falls upon us, and strange enough it isn't awkward. His presence is very clear though, the way my body reacts to it is unhealthy.

"I didn't expect you to see you here," he confesses. "Me either," I mutter under my breath.

"You sang very good tonight," he compliments me. I inwardly cringe at his attempt of a conversation.

I take a deep breath, anger is bubbling inside me. "Thank you, your girlfriend already said that to me," I say calmly, but my undertone is filled with venom. He chuckles, but not sincerely. 

"Yeah, she thought you were very good. She'll probably rant about it on the way home."

That was way below the belt. Asshole.

I decide to say nothing and stay quiet, he doesn't deserve my anger. "Yeah, she was so excited about it," I instead tell him. 

"I saw your boyfriend walking around the room with your parents," he says, trying to get back at me. How petty can a conversation get? 

If only he knew.

I suppress a smile, he doesn't know shit. "Oh yes?" I ask him and quirk an eyebrow. 

"Yes, I was surprised to see him, honestly. Did he want you back? Or did you beg him to take you back? Either way, I'm surprised he still wanted you."

"I would if I weren't gay."

Our heads both turn to Chris, who's standing in the doorway of the balcony. I smile at him for saving me and walk over to him. His hand comes back to my waist where it was for the night and he pulls me closer to him. I turn my head to Vincenzo and look at him directly in the eyes.

Prepare for a war, fucking dickhead.