Chapter 11

A T H E N A

"Last night you were in my room, now my bedsheets smell like you"

° ° °

Sleepily I open my eyes, to see the sun welcoming me through the windows. I roll over to be met with an empty bed. But his smell is still there. I clutch the sheets tighter to my body and inhale deeply. 

An unconscious smile grazes my lips at the thought of last night. He held me tightly against his body after we were done, and I enjoyed the feeling of being so close to him.

I wonder when he left. My eyes fly open – I'll be seeing him again.

He'll come over today, for Christmas.

Shit, it's Christmas.

And I've bought nothing for him. Suddenly my door opens, and mom walks in. I cover my bare self, and look up at her.

"Merry Christmas sweetie!" she smiles. I smile back at her. "Merry Christmas, mom," I reply, and yawn. She takes a seat on my bed, and brushes my strands of hair behind my ear.

"You should get up and get dressed, Vincenzo will arrive here soon," she announces, and stands up from my bed. I frown.

"What time is it?" I ask her. "It's 11:30 AM, so get dressed and come help me some more in the kitchen," she says and closes the door after her. I fall back in my bed and sigh.

I should get dressed soon. I get up from bed and get my dress I bought for Christmas out of my closet.

After I've freshened up in the bathroom, I brush my hair and put a little lip-balm on my lips

"I'm ready," I say when I exit the bathroom, and go downstairs.

"Your father went to buy a little more chocolate for desert," mom announces when I enter the kitchen. 

"Oh good, you know how much I love it," I laugh. The smell of the turkey enters my nose, and my mouth starts watering. "It smells delicious mom," I tell her and press a kiss against her cheek. She smiles.

"Thanks honey. Can you help me cut the carrots?" she asks. I nod, "Sure."

I grab a knife and the cutting board. I start cutting, and when I'm done with the carrots I go for the celery.

Halfway I start yawning, and take a sip from my coffee to keep me awake.

"Tired?" mom asks. I nod.

"You sure must be after a night with Vincenzo."

Everything around me freezes, and my breath hitches in my throat. The knife stills in the air, and every hair on my body stands up.

"W-what?" I manage to choke out. Mom keeps cutting the onions, casually. "You heard me. Your dad is an oblivious one, I admit, but at the pace you guys were going, I'm surprised he didn't get suspicious," she says and slightly shakes her head.

"M-mom, what a-are you talking about?" I stutter. She laughs. "Don't act dumb now, Athena. I'm your mother, I know everything," she says and finally puts her knife down, turning her head to me.

I try to swallow with a dry throat – which is hard. "I can explain, mom," I say. "Don't, honey. I know everything," she smiles, and caresses my cheek with her hand. My frown deepens. "Since when?" I ask her. She chuckles. "Since it started."

"How?" is my question. She laughs. "Did you really think you could hide something like that from me? The blush on your face and the different look in your eyes told me enough," she says.

My lips part in confusion. I don't know if she's mad or not. "Aren't you supposed to be more... angry?" I ask her. She breathes in. "No, Athena. I'm not angry. I'm just sad that you didn't tell me. You know I will never judge you, right?"

I take her hand in mine. "I didn't dare to tell you," I whisper, "afraid you would be so disappointed in me."

"Oh honey," she says and gives me a hug. "I would never be disappointed in you when it comes to love."

Her hand strokes my head. I swallow my tears away at the thought of Vincenzo breaking my heart. "I knew how much pain you went through a year and a half ago," she says. I tighten my grip on her. 

"Why didn't you say something? Why did you let me commit something so stupid?" I ask her. She sighs, and leans back.

"Because I thought you were wise and old enough to make your own decisions. And as an adult you're capable of doing what you want, even though it may be stupid," she chuckles, and presses a kiss against my forehead. 

"I'm so glad you're not mad at me," I smile, and press my head against her shoulder. Her smell surrounds me, and I inhale deeply.

"But I'm not sure what your father's reaction will be," she says and pulls away.

A part of the weight that was lifted off my shoulders comes back again.

"Right," I sigh. "He'll be so angry," I murmur and rake a hand through my hair in desperation. Mom sighs. 

"Honestly, I don't know what his reaction will be. You'll have to tell him soon enough, though. I'm not pressuring you into anything, honey. I won't tell him myself either, but just know you can't hide this from him forever," she says and pats my shoulder.

I nod and sigh. "I know, mom. I know." I'm glad that she's not angry about what happened with Vincenzo.

She sends me a last smile.

"I hope everything works out for you two. And that in the end you'll be happy."

Pressing my lips together I nod. Stick to the plan, Athena.

I'll be happy when I have his heart broken in two.