Twenty-two

*TRIGGER WARNING: GRAPHIC MENTIONS OF SUICIDE AND SELF HARM! READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!*

Y/N = Your Name

Y/L/N = Your Last Name

-

Dom's POV

I wish I could tell you when I realized this was all real, I wish I could say I knew what I was doing when I hopped in Y/N's car and started aimlessly driving into the break of dawn. Alarm bells would go off any minute now when Y/N and I don't show up back to the hospital. They'd send out search parties, no doubt the police would get involved. 

I could ditch the car and find a place on foot to put an end to this misadventure, I could crash the car and knock out two birds with one fucking bloody stone. Decisions, decisions. 

So many decisions, so little time to make them. 

I pull the car to the side of a secluded road in the middle of nowhere. Trees and brush enclose the desolate area, I don't know where I am or how long I've been driving. I stop the car and take a deep breath for the first time in what feels an eternity.

"Fuck." I mutter, hanging my head low against the wheel. "FUCK!" I scream, slamming my calloused hands against the wheel, sounding the horn. I grab a fistful of hair and pull down harshly, my body is so numb I can't even feel the sting caused by the tugging on my scalp. "Come on Dominic, fucking think of something, anything." I try to think straight, however all attempts are instantly a lost cause. I glance over to the gun sitting on the passenger seat where I had thrown it hours ago. I could do it right here, put the bloody gun to my temple and the last thing that would go through my head would be a bullet, and not the thought of Y/N in the woods, bloody, cold, and alone. However they'd find me quickly here. I at least tried to hide Y/N's body. I sigh and try to keep my composure, I can't kill myself if my thoughts are hazy. I need to straighten out my mind. 

I sigh and switch on the radio, music has always been an easy escape for me. However when I turn on the radio it's not the relief of distraction that it provides me, it's the feeling of my stomach dropping at what I hear come through the speakers of this godforsaken car.

"-just in, breaking news in the bay area. Two missing person's reports have be filed for two teenagers this morning. Y/N Y/L/N and Dominic Harrison were reported missing after Y/L/N did not show up to work at the psychiatric facility in which she is employed with Harrison this morning. Dominic Harrison is her patient, he's diagnosed with psychotic disorder and a plethora of other mental illnesses. He was temporarily discharged from Langley Porter Psychiatric Hospital this weekend and was placed in Y/L/N's care. They were scheduled to arrive back at the hospital at 6am this morning but failed to do so. Harrison is considered a threat to himself and others. Authorities are extremely concerned for the teenagers wellbeing and fear that the two may be in immediate danger. Anyone with information is urged to call the San Francisco Police depar-"

I shut off the radio and feel sick to my stomach. Suddenly the storm cloud in my head has cleared and my mind is as sharp as a blade. The reality of the past few hours hit all at once in this sick, twisted moment and I could not longer confuse reality with fantasy. Y/N is dead, and it's my fault.

I want to scream, I want to cry, but my body won't let me do either of those things right now. Instead I open the car door and vomit in the brush on the side of the road. I suddenly find myself violently breaking down into tears. My eyes fail to focus, my heart rate picks up, or it slows, honestly I can't tell. Only now has gravity weighed down on me, bonding me to the bottom of the void that I've created with my own cold heart.

Closing the car door, turning the key in the ignition and speeding off through the redwoods, I try to escape the thoughts of what I had done. Tears relentlessly pour down my face and I can't catch a normal breath, my lungs seem only know how to hyperventilate. My visions flattens and I can barely see the road anymore, or the speedometer. The tires squeak as I try to make the winding turns of the road ahead.

You knew it would end like this Dominic, don't act so stunned.

This was always your plan, you played with fire, now your world is burning. You shouldn't have been so selfish.

You never loved her. If you loved her, why would you kill her?

That's right, because you don't, you're incapable of love.

It's a shame really, to spill such young blood, but you did this to her. Her fate was sealed the day she met you.

This is your doing. All of this was because of you.

Suddenly, the tires let out a deafening screech as I try to gain control of the car, another lost cause. "Shit!" I yell out grabbing the wheel frantically as the car spirals out of control. I pull the wheel as a final attempt to recenter the vehicle, but this was wasted effort. The car spins, and smashes into a tree of the side of the road.

And everything in the emerald void turns red, and fades to black.