~Chapter 18: To the Mall We Go~

Changed the last chapter's name cuz I hated it lol.

~Y/n's POV~

"Why is it so crowded?" Michael murmured under his breath, swerving and squeezing into a small parking space, a few minutes away from the old mall.

"Because it's the Christmas season, dummy!" Claire exclaimed, popping off her seatbelt.

Michael's ears flushed an embarrassed red as he followed suite. Claire seemed to notice because she squeezed his hand with a delicate touch and added, "But you're my dummy." Michael returned the subtle squeeze and flashed her a caring smile.

Claire was so lucky to have a guy like Michael.

We all shuffled out of the car, our legs stiff from the hour drive. Dirty snow sloshed beneath my brown ankle-booties. Ivan pulled down his dark-green beanie and gave me an awkward smile.

He was still thinking about our argument, I could tell.

Michael wrapped a limp protective-arm around Claire, and together we trudged up to the grand doorway with a red, lit-up sign flashing the words, "Welcome to St. Mary's Mall."

~Just a few minutes later~

Bright, fluorescent lighting washed over the mall, the peeking sun peering from the windows and highlighting the huge, gorgeous tree in the middle of the shopping center. Old-fashion evergreen garland was strung across the escalator railing and upstairs ledge. A mall Santa sat on his throne right next to the Christmas tree, and a little kid no older than 5 was whispering to him his wish list. Every storefront was all jazzed for the Holidays with twinkling lights and bright, colorful Christmas displays.

"Woah," I heard Ivan whisper, clearly just as overwhelmed as I was. I could spend all days looking at the twinkling lights, getting lost in my own imagination....

A sudden clap from Claire jolted me awake from my trance. "So!" She started, her voice all high and perky. "I think we should hit up Sephora's for makeup, Macy's for shoes, Kate Spade for accessories—oh, I've been needing a new handbag! And then—"

"Uhm, let's take it one step at a time," Ivan interrupted, clearly overwhelmed. "I think we should go get a drink or something first. I could go for a peppermint hot cocoa."

My mouth watered at the thought of a steaming mug of hot cocoa with a pile of whipped cream. "I'm down for that," I quickly replied.

"Then let's go," Ivan said, his smile getting warmer.

~A few minutes later~

The smell of peppermint hot cocoa and light, airy smell of whipped cream curled underneath my nose, begging me to take a sip. Of course, if I did that at that moment, my tongue would get scorched.

Claire, after taking a long sip out of her peppermint frappe, asked, "Should we hit up Sephora's first?"

Michael groaned and asked, "Can't we go somewhere where there's stuff for both guys and girls?"

Claire tolled her eyes, locking her hand in his. "The Sephora's is inside the Macy's, Micha, so you can go look for some shoes or a tie for the party."

I watched as annoyed looks both crossed over Michael's and Ivan's faces, knowing it would take forever before Claire found some makeup she was actually happy with.

"Fine," Michael sighed out, tightening his grip of Claire's hand. "Let's go."

~~~~~~~

When we stepped into Macy's, I was immediately hit by the lively Christmas Lights and strong scent of ladies perfume.