twenty three.

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE ❝ are you? ❞

are you? 

"I'M GLAD THAT Tsunade-sama has woken up," said Yamato after exiting Hokage's office. "War is coming and we need a Hokage."

"Thank god I didn't become Hokage," said Kakashi, his eyes still focused on reading his book. "That would make me not have time to read my literature..."

Yamato sweatdropped. "Kakashi-senpai, that book you mean ..."

"Hm? What is it, Tenzou?"

"No. Nothing," he shook his head. "And how many times I told you not to call me that, senpai!!"

"Why not? There were only three of us," Kakashi shrugged, then glancing towards the only girl of them who had been silent for a while. "Am I right, Shintarou?"

No response.

The two of them looked at each other. "Shizuka? Are you okay?" asked Yamato with a hint of concern in his voice. He gently shook her shoulder.

"Huh? Yes?" the girl blinked as if she just got back to reality. "I apologize. Did you say something?"

"What happened to you?" Kakashi bluntly asked. "You've been out of it since last week."

"I'm fine, nanodayo," pushes up her glasses, Shizuka stared at them with her usual stoic expression.

"I'm not convinced," Kakashi shut his book and shove it in his ninja pouch. "Something must be going on between you and Naruto. You've been avoiding each other since last week."

"Yes, you don't even fight about red beans and ramen anymore," Yamato added. Staring at her with concern.

Shizuka fell silent. It is true what they say. A week after that, she couldn't bear to see Naruto again. She was embarrassed that she just let her emotions out, that she shouted at him for a ridiculous reason. She felt awkward. And because of that, she started avoiding Naruto.

But, is it that obvious that Kakashi and Yamato find out?

"We just had a disagreement," she replied honestly with a soft voice. "nothing more."

Yamato gives her a reassuring smile. "Well, I hope you can solve that before the war begins."

"Yamato's right," Kakashi nodded in agreement. "And you know... You are very influential to Naruto."

Those words succeeded in making Shizuka stop. Her eyes were perfectly wide, from both shock and confusion. She was sure she heard it wrong. But it was the look in Kakashi's eyes that denied it.