3. On the Run

Earth, Planet 616

Two weeks later,

Percy's pov

Sweat beaded his body, Percy could hear light footsteps following him. He was running as fast as he could. The hunters were catching up to him. He ducked my head just in time, as a silver arrow whizzed past him.

It's been two days since he had a decent meal. Being on the run is a lot harder when the best group of hunters and trackers were trying to kill him, albeit a bit reluctantly but they can't disobey the gods lest they want to commit 'treason' against Olympus.

Percy pulled down his hood tighter and swiftly changed directions. This put them off track for now. He hid in the shadows of a large tree. 

"We lost him, m'lady," Percy recognized that voice. After all, he couldn't have forgotten someone who threatened you so many times before. "It's alright Phoebe, we'll catch sooner or later. We shall return to camp today. Thalia has returned from her mission." Artemis. She may not have voted for him but Percy still respected her. He wondered why Thalia isn't hunting him down though. It was like Phoebe heard his thoughts when she said, "My lady I do not mean disrespect but why the hell is Thalia not with us on this hunt. Surely someone else could have led the other mission. She is the lieutenant, after all, shouldn't she be on this hunt for that boy as well?" She spat the word boy like it was a disease. Percy found that offensive. Artemis did say once that she tolerated him. He took pride in that accomplishment.

Artemis sighed and signaled the other hunters to go back. "It is true. But I think she'd rather not hunt down her closest cousin like a wild beast. I do not wish to cause her more pain. She rather liked Perseus Jackson as a part of her family."

 He felt his heart warm. At least she cared for him. They both retreated the way that the hunters had gone. Percy quietly got out of his hiding place. The forest seemed to go on for another mile. He was bone-tired from all the running but he couldn't give up now. He climbed the tree and jumped from tree to tree, giving him a good sense of where he was. 

While trying to find shelter for the night, his mind wandered to the day he left camp and hunted by almost all gods.

Percy had heard everything in that meeting in Olympus. 

He had arrived there pretty early as he had learned to mist travel. He just hadn't told anyone then. When he had gotten to the entrance of the throne room, he had heard a lot of arguing. His gut had told him to stay hidden and listen. He trusted his instincts and stayed hidden and listened. 

He shuddered to think what might have happened if he hadn't. Those traitorous gods would've thrown him into the pit that gave him so many nightmares. He couldn't believe that they thought he had betrayed them when he had saved their butts twice. 

When the meeting was about to be over, he mist traveled to his cabin and packed a bag with nectar, ambrosia, a few daggers, a change of clothes, and a picture of all his friends together. Those were the good days. He knew Piper and Jason were on a date today so he made his way to Bunker nine while avoiding the rest of the campers. He could hear the sound of machinery in there. 

Percy opened the door and went straight in. The place was a mess, tools were everywhere and Leo was sitting in the middle of it all. "Leo, we have to talk," Percy said. Leo stopped his machine and pushed the goggles on his eyes to his forehead. 

When he saw Percy with his packed backpack, he frowned. "Hey man, are you going somewhere, and aren't you supposed to be in Olympus? And like what is up with that anyway. I heard rumors that they were punish you for helping the dirt lady like that was impossible, your fatal flaw isn't loyalty for no reason."

Percy felt like a mountain was taken off his shoulders. At least somebody believed in him. He explained his situation to Leo as quickly as possible. At the end of the explanation, Leo's face was grim. He reached in his toolbelt and bought out a plain piece of paper and handed it to me.

"What's this?" Percy asked in confusion. Leo smiled a bit and told him that it was an enchanted map that if you said the name of a place, it would show you the map of it and the people in it.

Percy thanked him and they hugged with one arm. "Tell Jason, Piper, Nico, Thalia, Hazel, and Frank that I love them and hope they believe me. Also, tell them I never blamed any of you for this. Goodbye Leo. I am  happy you found Calypso again."  Percy then turned and discreetly headed for the camp borders.

There was a mob of campers surrounding a couple. He stepped just a bit closer to see the faces of the couple. It was Xavier and ..... Annabeth? They were kissing passionately. A lump formed in Percy's throat. He took a step back and another. Then he was full-on running. He turned back for a moment and saw the entirety of camp. A sob let loose and tears were once falling down his cheeks. He pulled on his hood and ventured into the forest. He didn't have much left here anymore. Any hope of rekindling his relationship was gone. In its place, he felt empty. He wondered how long she had been dating Xavier. Was it because of him that she broke up with Percy?

Percy shook his trying to clear all the depressing thoughts from his mind and started running as far as he could go. He wanted to live and survive even if it was only to defy the fate the Olympians tried to give him and betray him. So that he could show them that he wasn't a puppet they could get rid of whenever they wanted. 

He had felt so many betrayals that day but the stung the worst was hers. He still appreciated the few gods that tried to stand up for him. 

 Soon Percy found a perfect hidden clearing. He set up a small camp and a fire in the middle. The trees crowded above, so there was only a slim chance that someone saw the smoke. He knew that every day the hunters got closer to catching him. He needed help, someone who didn't betray him and lead him into a trap. 

So he called upon the only one he fully trusted, he scraped some bread into the fire and prayed. Something he didn't think he would ever do again.