8. Cara, I'm leaving

Percy's pov

A month later

It's been a month since Percy came to Brooklyn House. It has been awesome. Carter's been teaching him how to fight like an Egyptian and he discovered that he can perform a few spells too from Sadie. Nobody except Sadie, Carter, and Walt actually knew of him being a demigod, they only know him as another magician trainee.

He also had more dreams about the little girl - Ari. Ari was a nickname but he didn't know her real name so he continued to call her Ari. He felt more and more protective of her. He was almost completely sure about her godly parent. He had also figured out that she lived in Philadelphia. He wanted to meet her someday. He just didn't know when.

He shook the thoughts out of his head. "Percy!" He turned his head to see Cara, a new trainee bounded up to him. "What's up, Cara?" 

"The opposite of down," she retorted. She looked like a tall pixie, with her dark hair and shining blue eyes. They had become quick friends when she had first gotten here with their similar humor. "Anyway, that's not why I am here. Sadie wants to talk to you on the veranda."

Percy frowned in confusion. He didn't think there were more greek monsters in Brooklyn as earlier that he had killed them all. Usually, they take a day to get back here. "About what?" Cara lifted an eyebrow. "She didn't tell me anything about it. She did seem worried though so you should go quickly. A worried Sadie could mean the end of the world."

Percy nodded and thanked her and she called," Don't do anything stupid." He chuckled to himself and made his way to the veranda. Even in Brooklyn House for magicians, he managed to make a reputation of blowing things up like the first shabti he saw.  

As soon as he got to the veranda, he went to the fountain, petted Philip of Macedonia, and went over to where Sadie was talking to Walt. They stopped chatting when they saw him and had concerning expressions. He decided to not beat around the bush much longer. "You wanted to tell me something, Sadie?"

Walt placed a hand on her shoulder, gave a peck on her lips, and said," I'll let you tell him." He walked out of the room leaving me with a grim Sadie. She pursed her lips and spoke," I don't know how you'll take this but Annabeth IM'ed me today. I wanted to slap her so bad but it was just a mist message and you told us to keep your existence here a secret so, I acted all nice and cheery. But the important thing is that-" She hesitated. "She told me that she was coming here with her that jerk Xavier because she thinks you might have come to Brookly because of the increased number of greek monster attacks here." 

Percy looked calm on the outside but inside, he was Screaming. The bane of his life was coming to his haven. Even if it was temporary from the start. He took a deep breath to try and calm himself. He spoke through gritted teeth, "W-When?"

"In three days." Okay, he had three days. He was sad that he had left the friends he had made here but three days was enough time for him to figure out another place that he could go to go. "Well, I guess I'm leaving tomorrow." He felt a lump in his throat. Sadie looked everywhere but him. She looked like she was battling guilt so he tried to reassure her," I'll be alright. I knew they find me here eventually. Just didn't think it would be this soon. You tried to help me as much as you can."

Sadie looked a bit relieved after his short speech so he fled to his room that they had given him in the boy's wing. He packed all the necessary items in his backpack, some healing potions, shabti clay, a few daggers, and the leftover ambrosia into a backpack.

A knock on his door made him abandon his packing. He opened the door to find an annoyed Cara. Once she looked at his face, concern replaced it. "Are you alright? What did she say?"

"I am fine. It's nothing." He lied.

"Don't bullshit me. What happened?" She pushed past him into his room. Her eyes widened at the half-bare room and the packed bag. "Where are you going?"

 Percy knew he couldn't get out of this now. Cara was a fun-loving person but she could be stubborn like an elephant when she wanted to be and he did not want to lie to one of his closest friends anymore. "Cara, I'm leaving Brooklyn House." 

He told her everything about his life. In the end, Cara looked like she to either punch him or hug him. Fortunately, she went with the second option. When she pulled apart, she punched his arm. Hard. "You idiot! You were going to go without telling me anything had I not found you. We're supposed to be friends, Perce." She pouted.

Percy nervously ran his hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, Cara and we are friends."

She sighed," Fine. So, I guess this is goodbye." She glared at him threateningly. "You better call me from time to time." Percy raised his hands in surrender. "Of course." 

After Cara was gone, he laid down in his bed. As exhaustion dragged his subconscious into Morpheus's realm.

-Dream-

He was in a living room. It was a mess. Books lying around, broken lights, garbage spread around the room, and all around there was gold dust sprinkled everywhere. Someone was fighting monsters here. A low growl sounded from the middle of the room. Ari was standing against a wall behind her mother who was holding a sword. 

All of a sudden, the hellhound pounced on Ari who screamed and covered her head with her hands to brace for the painful impact but it never came. Her mother had jumped in front of the hellhound dropping the sword in the process. Ari looked horrified to find the hellhound on her mother. She fueled her rage into courage and picked up the sword drove it into the beast's back. 

It roared in agony and exploded into gold dust. Ari dropped the sword and ran to her mother's side who was lying still on the ground. It was a heartbreaking scene. 

The dream then shifts. 

Suddenly, Percy is standing in the middle of a busy road. " Someone stop that thief." Somebody cried. A small figure was swiftly weaving through the crowd while others tried to search for the thief.  Percy followed the figure to an abandoned narrow alleyway. The figure pulled down the hood revealing soft brown hair falling down to the shoulders. Percy recognized her as Ari. What was she doing here?

 He saw her go into a shabby shelter in the corner. Percy backed out of the alley and saw a virtual billboard. He squinted to see what was written in the corner. He gasped in surprise. The time and date matched. He was seeing the present. That meant that Ari was out there in Philadelphia living on the streets at age thirteen. 

He forced himself to wake up.

Percy gasped as he sat upon his bed. Sweat beaded his forehead. Streams of sunlight came through the window. It felt like the calm before the storm. Then he remembered that today, he had to leave. "Well, at least now I have a destination in mind," he thought. 

________________________________________________________________

 The above picture is how I think Cara would like^.