CHAPTER 20

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic." Frank Herbert

His fucking betrothed???

How dare Elijah sit on his ass with this information. I mean, no wonder this psychotic bitch was mad. He was promised to her. How could he be promised to anyone when he knew I was out there? This doesn't make any sense. I could feel the heat rise to my face as my brain registered my feelings of jealousy, disgust, and a vague feeling of being unwanted.

He doesn't want me for a mate.

His head snapped back to me in one swift movement. His eyes conveyed confusion, regret, and longing. But sadly, this was not enough to appease my anger.

He stood up from his protective stance, "First off, Gerald, she was never mined and never will be. I clarified that the marriage would be off when I found my mate. And, as you can see, my mate is at my side where she belongs. Not to mention, your daughter is aware of what happens if you harm another wolf's mate, let alone a mate of an Alpha. Did you expect me not to hold her accountable for treacherous actions?"

His voice rose an octave, making me flinch back into the wall. "Helena is a fucking human, a very peculiar one but a human nonetheless. Did you expect my daughter or me to forget the promise you made those years ago when we helped your worthless pack out?" he glared.

Elijah was across the room, gripping Gerald by the throat holding him three feet above him, growling. The feeling in the room was suddenly dark and intense, and I could tell that his wolf was in control now.

His voice sounded thick, as if two people were talking simultaneously, " Don't you ever say a damn thing regarding my mate. Ever! She is mine. The Luna to my pack, and I swear to the Moon Goddess, if you do it again, I will kill you. Do you fucking understand me?" He roared.

Chocking on his spit, he gurgled, " Fuck you, Elijah. I want my daughter out of the basement now. Maybe, I will forgive your lies if you let her go."

"Fuck, no! She tried to kill my mate. If she succeeded, she would have killed my wolf as well." He snarled.

Logically, I understand why he would want her chained up and punished. But we don't live in a logical world. How could something illogical not happen with so many choices making us move in irrational directions? How could something unthinkable not occur? That's the thing about options, lives, and people. We will never know how strong someone's motivation is when getting what they want. And she wanted Elijah, apparently, at any cost.

I stepped forward, walking until I reached Elijah's back. I gently placed my hand on his shoulders, and I could feel him start to relax, but his grip didn't loosen on Gerald's neck.

"Elijah, you can't kill him. He is right. Killing a council member is punishable by death. How about we release Miranda and banish her from your territory, and if she breaks this agreement, death will be her punishment." I tried to reason with him.

Mate, we want you safe. We must kill all who wish to harm you.

His wolf mind linked at me. I was momentarily shocked. This is the first time I've heard his wolf directly.

I know, but we also must be very diligent with the council. This is the one thing I know will keep us both safe. Give Elijah control, please.

His hands abruptly let Gerald go causing him to fall hard on the floor beneath him. Only then could I see that his claws had come out and retracted back in? Fuck, he was going to kill him.

"Listen, fucktard. I will release your trifling daughter into your hands, but if she steps on my land or near my mate, I will not hesitate to rip her heart out. Could you not make the mistake of doubting me? Your position on the council will not persuade me to end you both. Now, get the fuck out before I change my mind."