CHAPTER 38

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Google / Mark Twain 

"Dirty Slut? Daisy? I am more like a seasonal tramp at this point. I'm a step or two down from a slut." I shrugged my shoulders as she laughed.

" I suppose you're right." She laughed lightly. "But what do you plan on doing about this serious dilemma? Do you plan on telling Elijah?"

I sighed, "He already knows a little but not everything. I honestly don't think it is necessary to tell him, considering he also kept his affairs secret." I added bitterly.

"Helena! Two wrongs don't make a right. And it does either of you any good to play cat and mouse with each other. Disrespecting the mate bond could have disastrous consequences."

I frowned. Please leave it to Daisy to make this about the bond and us hurting it. She spoke about it as if it were a living, breathing thing. Quite frankly, I was tired of it. I want to get rid of it if it is an actual thing. "Can you break a mate bond?" I asked.

"You can break anything," she impatiently sighed, "But why would you want to break it? I thought you loved Elijah?"

"I do. And who said I wanted to end the mate bond with Elijah?" I gazed out the window and contemplated who I wanted to end it with. Elijah was who I started this journey with in this life and in my past. It was always him, but Cal was a problem. He changed his whole perspective on life to appease me. To be worthy of me. And I can't deny that I am attracted to him. "It doesn't matter right now, though. I will cross that bridge when I get there. Where is Elijah anyway?" I wondered.

I've been up for a while and haven't seen him. Didn't he miss me, or maybe he knows some shit happened while I was in dreamland. Nonetheless, I couldn't help being shocked and hurt by his absence. How selfish I could be to demand his undying loyalty and love when walking a thin line between unfaithful and faithful.

"He is currently meeting with the surrounding packs to discuss our little witch problem as well as you," Daisy said while her lips curled back.

I perked up, " What about me?" What do they want to know?" My anxiety rose a notch.

" Helena, I don't think you understand how rare you are. There have always been rumors about humans that a God or Goddess kissed, but no one has ever seen one. And if they have been seen, more than likely they are killed for their blood."

"What? Do these packs want to kill me?"

She paused, " Not that we know of. But power is a strong motivation for betrayal. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Do you honestly think we would let anything happen to you?"

I wasn't so worried about myself, but the thought of any of them dying to protect me, again, truly bothered me. Was I ready to become a martyr because of my belief that supernatural creatures and humans could mix? Or was I prepared to die because of who I am and what I am? Whatever path to death I would take, I wanted to take it alone.

"No, but doesn't this also put you guys at risk? And now Elijah has a massive target on his back. Who's to say they won't go after me to get to him or vice versa? This is a big cluster fuck if you ask me." I took a deep breath and wiped the nonexistent sweat from my forehead.

"It is his choice, and he has already made it. We already told you that we would die to protect you, Luna. You might as well accept it and fight with us." She shrugged her shoulders.

Her carefree attitude was beginning to annoy me. Did no one care about their own lives? Didn't they have something to live for other than honor and glory?