CHAPTER 31

"Everyone is a moon and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody." Mark Twain

I took a greedy breath in, inhaling all the energy around me. My taste buds were tingling with the different flavors that swirled in the air around me. The aroma reminded me of fresh-baked cookies. Just so sweet. I stuck my tongue out, licking my lips in anticipation. My eyes were still locked in on Lucille, and my lips twisted as I growled. This was enough to break through my hunger and make me stop for a second. 'What is going on with me?' The question caused my body to instantly stand up straight while I tried to focus through the temptation. My gaze never left Lucille, and the fear once written over her face gets angrily rewritten. I see her wrist flinch upwards, and she starts chanting again.

Elijah's wolf starts whining, and I can feel the pain. Although it wasn't as potent this time, I can feel it nonetheless. Just like that, my hunger is replaced with a lethal dose of rage. Which happens to be directed at the witch standing over my mate. I thought, 'Run,' and before the thought could fully register, I was instantly transported in front of her.

In a blink of an eye, this was the second time I was standing over a witch with murderous intent.

"Your eyes?" She questioned as I grabbed her neck, closing the tiny space between us. "My eyes are the least of your worries, witch." I pushed my nose into the middle of her chest. "Goddess, I have never smelt anything sweeter than you. But sucking you dry brings me no pleasure." I looked down at my fingertips, and my fingers visibly changed to claws. I curled my lips backward, and I thrust my hand into the middle of her chest.

Her screams pierced the night air, and I loved it. The sight of blood gurgling from her mouth didn't even phase me. "You might have won this battle but believe me, filthy human, death is but the beginning." Blood dribbled from the side of her mouth, making me want to reach out and lick it. It smelt so good, but I had other plans for this witch. With my hand still lodged in her chest, I could feel her heart beating. Suddenly, I thought how fitting it would be to make her as cold as she made me. As soon as the thought appeared, I could feel the hand clenching her soon-to-be-dead heart vibrate coldly. I didn't even stop to think how this could happen. No, it was too late. I was far away.

She glared at me with shock and contempt as her breathing slowed down. Her breath was coming out like clouds of smoke, and her body was shivering.

"Your heart is dead and frozen, just like your defective plan to murder my mate and me. Now, we are even, witch." And I tore my hand from her chest with her heart still resting in my palm. I stared at it as I carefully examined the red and blue colors swirling inside it. With a firm squeeze, I crushed it between my fingers as if it was just a little pebble. The leftover particles from her heart glided through my fingertips and fell to the earth. I lifted my head meeting the fearful and curious stares of all the witches and werewolves in the clearing. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. The witches were afraid of me, but the wolves looked proud. Their eyes shone with a mix of admiration while their chest puffed out in pride.

I scanned the area taking in all their faces when a thread of bright light caught my attention. My nostrils flared at the smell emanating from this particular witch. She, like all the others, smelled fantastic. And all I wanted to do was grab her and suck the life out of her. The witch didn't look scared at all as I stalked her. And the growls coming from some of the wolves didn't deter me in the slightest. I didn't even wonder why they wouldn't want me to kill her.

As I got closer and closer to her, I noticed that she didn't attempt to defend herself. Her expression seemed like she was almost happy to see me. It puzzled me, but I was still hungry. I still wanted to feel her life flow through me. But the more I stared at her face, the more familiarity flowed through me. I didn't want to hurt her. No, not this witch. I felt connected to her, but dammit, she just smelt so divine. Reaching out to grab her collar, her hands flew to my forehead simultaneously. I was struck with a tingling feeling resonating to the back of my skull, and I felt oddly calm. The hunger was gone, allowing my other senses to return to the forefront of my mind.

I breathed in and out as my eyes focused on her face. And the haziness started to clear.

"Is that better? Do you still feel like you can't control yourself?" She gave me a gentle smile as she caressed my cheek. "What in the hell was that? "My voice sounded strange. Tired, perhaps. I swayed just a little, and she caught me. "Well, that was you being something similar to an energy vampire." My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What in the hell is an energy vampire?" I pursed my lips. "It's a creature that feeds off the life force of others. Usually, one can control it and not kill their prey, but you have not learned that skill yet." The words kill caused me to gasp out loud.

That's right, I killed those two witches. I turned my head to look backward, and Lucille's body was still there. How could I? Why would I? What have I done? As much as I disliked her and Sarafina, I didn't want them dead. I definitely wanted to hurt them but never kill them. I'm a murderer now, and the weight was unbearable. I could feel the panic rising, and my breathing became unbearable.

I felt close to this witch wrapped her hands around me, pulling me into a hug. Her hands rubbed my back to console me. She hummed a tune in my ear. And memories of a cottage and playing in a meadow flashed before me.

"Rosa, is it really you?" My hands on her tightened with the realization that this was, in fact, her. How could I not recognize the sweet scent rolling off her?

"Yes, my dear sweet Helena. I've missed you terribly." She cooed in my ear, making me smile like a schoolgirl. "I have waited so long for you to return to me. You have no idea the joy I feel holding you in my arms once again. And as sweet as this reunion is, we have a lot of things that we need to discuss." Her voice took on a more serious tone. "The color of your eyes has changed, so you're more yourself now, but now that you've tasted the essence of a supernatural being, you're going to always want it."

The exhaustion was starting to take its toll on my body, and I could feel it begin to sink to the earth, but warm solid hands caught me before my face could hit the dirt. I looked up to see the eyes of my savior, and I was struck with the beauty of the color blue staring back at me. With a smile, I mumbled the words "Mate." A low laugh was all that I remembered before the darkness took me. 

Thank you all for continuing to read my story and I hope that you are enjoying it. Please do not forget to comment and vote. Think of it this way it takes 3 seconds to comment and bring joy to inspiring author to continue her story!!!. Let me know what you think of Helena and all that she begins to understand and do. Love you all!!!