CHAPTER 30

Revenge is never a straight line. It's a forest, and like a forest it's easy to lose your way, to get lost, to forget where you came in. (Hautori Hanzo)

"Can they see you? What if they know you're here, and they prematurely kill me? I spoke the words in my mind, which didn't seem as strange as I thought it would be. With a gentle shake of her head, "You are the only person that can see me. Did you forget that I am a Goddess? I am only seen when I want to be seen. Please don't worry. Everything will be alright. Just focus on getting your energy back." I heard a soothing voice say before she disappeared into the night air. The fear I once felt had vanished to the back of my mind as retribution was within my grasp.

We walked for a mile coming to a stop once we were standing at the top of a hill. I looked around to see if anything seemed remotely familiar. But to my dismay, I didn't recognize anything, and the only people whose faces I had seen were Sarafina and that other psychotic woman, Lucille. Others were gathered in various spots standing all around us. I couldn't make out their faces as black hooded cloaks hid them. But the energy coming off them was staggering. I had never felt such...such power before. I had felt Elijah's Herculean Aura, but this was different. This was depressing, joyful, and painful all at once. It felt like I would never be cheerful again.

Lucille pushed me down on the slab of rock centered in the middle of the clearing overlooking their followers that gathered below. My back felt cold and hollow when it hit the center, and I shivered involuntarily. "The day has finally come when we will snatch back what is ours. We finally have a chance to regain our honor and destroy all who left us to die and fend for ourselves. Many of you thought this day would never be upon us, but we didn't give up. We waited in the shadows and now were moments from fulfilling the wishes of our ancestors." She tilted her head back to gaze at the moon, " The full phase of the moon is almost complete, and when that happens." She pulled out a knife unsheathing it as she stared into my eyes, "This tainted, filthy human will give us the power that she doesn't deserve to vanquish our enemies."

There was a roar of applause and shouts of victory as she held the knife above my heart. She looked down at me, and I could see the knife's hilt shining brightly in her eye. She was beautiful in a scary kind of way. Her dark hair flowed down her back in a river of curls. Her almond-shaped face still looked like it had the youth of a teenager, but her eyes held the look of an old soul. Damaged. Broken. But as I observed her closely, something else showed in her eyes. Something that quite frankly shocked me.

Apprehension. Yes, apprehension. There it was as clear as day. I don't think she wanted to kill me. Maybe, she felt that she had to. This was a war, no matter how many of us looked at it. And in war, there are casualties on both sides. And I was just collateral damage to obtain a bigger goal.

Funny, how I had the time to rationalize why she was about to murder me in a position like this?

Her lips started to tremble while the hand that held the knife began to shake. Her determination faltered.

"Helena, I wish there was another way to take what I needed from you without killing you." She bent down, whispering, her voice thick with anguish. "But as fate would have it, your death will liberate my people and me. Please go to the afterlife knowing that your demise will ease the degradation of many witches." She smiled bitterly as she lifted the knife backward in a striking motion. " We thank you for your sacrifice." With a downward motion, she swung the blade toward my exposed chest. But she stopped midway as we suddenly heard screams coming from below us.

Her head snapped up, and she pushed herself up, straightening her back, searching to see what caused the witches to scream. I instinctively did the same thing, and I could see nothing but wolves coming from every corner of the forest. And they are huge, and I do mean giant wolves. My mouth falls open, and I can't help but feel like I will be sick. Blood is everywhere, torn body parts, and the noise is unnerving. My eyes catch the attention of three witches huddled in a group, and at the center, a wolf is pacing back and forth menacingly. One of the witches pulls her hood off and lets out a vicious snarl. I couldn't believe such an animalistic sound could come from a witch. I mean, she still looked human. She started chanting something. I was too far away to hear her words, but whatever she was doing, it was causing the wolf to squirm in what looked like pain. I could listen to its whines. And the sound was breaking my heart. Literally, my hands came to cover my ears as I scrunched down, trying to block out its cries.

I peeked through my wet lashes at the wolf, and its black fur seemed to glow in the dark. This wolf was by far the biggest in the bunch. But he looked oddly familiar. Like, I had seen him before. The wolf let out another loud whine, and I screamed. As soon as the sound left my lips, his head snapped to me. His muzzle foaming at the mouth. It was in pain; worse, I could feel it. It was like a hot blade cutting me to my very core.

My eyes locked into the wolf's eyes, and I could see them switching from blue to pitch black. It reminded me of Elijah's eyes when he got mad. As a matter of fact, as I surveyed the wolf's form, it reminded me of Elijah's wolf. But it couldn't be him, right? I saw the blade coming from his chest. It pierced his heart, and there was no way he could have still been alive. But as I continued to stare at the wolf, I suspected this was Elijah. My mate. Could it really be him?

"Elijah?" My voice cracked with disbelief.

The wolf looked at me in such a way that I knew this was him. My heart started beating at an unsteady pace.

"Elijah, my love, is that you?" I whispered, but I knew the wolf could hear me with his superhuman hearing.

The wolf nodded its head as if saying 'yes.' A jaw-stretching grin graced my face. My mate is alive! He is here. Wait a minute. This witch is hurting him. She is pulling me. And just like that, the rage and vengeance building up in me were breaking through those moral dilemmas I previously had.

I zeroed in on the witch chanting the spell that was causing him to hurt. And low and behold, it was that witch, Lucille. My anger bubbled to the surface like lava erupting from an active volcano. The invisible threads of life from the forest seemed to glow brighter as I unconsciously pulled on them. Taking in all its essence, I bathed in the sensational feeling of rejuvenation. Cal told me the fire was an inferno inside me, and I wanted to let go. To scorch everything and everyone in my path.

I heard a gasp coming from beside me. "Helena's eyes are glowing silver like the Goddess. We're too late." She whispered, and she abruptly tried to run away. But the moment I thought, 'Stop her,' I was immediately in front of her, gripping her wrists. "Where are you going, witch? I believe I should be thanking you for your sacrifice." I bitterly smiled. A thread of light was glowing from the middle of her chest. It looked like all the other threads connected to everything in the forest. It was the center of her life force and called to me. My mouth started to water as I anticipated the taste of her life as I planned to suck her dry.

I breathed in heavily, pulling her energy into me. And it was a magnificent high, and she was my kind of drug. The creatures in the forest tasted nothing like she and I wanted more. Needed more. "I wonder if your brethren taste as delicious as you?" I pondered out loud as her lifeless body dropped to the ground with a thud.

Not even the chilling and strange voice that sounded like mine made my steps falter. My eyes once again found Lucille. And she was staring at me like all the other witches in the small clearing. But I didn't care. I didn't see them. I only saw her and that shimmering thread glowing from her chest. I was hungry. And I planned to suck every witch dry to quench my hunger.

Please Vote, Share, and Comment!!! 

Thank you to all for the continuous support.