CHAPTER 2

He is not going to be happy with you here.

So, what, she is my friend.

Your decrepit friend, who you so willing let roam the woods during a blue moon.

I can hear fragments of a conversation Daisy has with some unidentified dickhead, who thinks I am some delicate human being. I'm clumsy, but I don't think I am all that physically impaired. I do yoga, for Christ's sake! Who does he think he is? I try opening my eyes to view precisely who this bonehead is.

I can feel my eyes flutter when I try, but I can't seem to get them open. This must be what sleep paralysis feels like. My conscious mind is here, but my body is unwilling to move. I keep trying to fight it, but I'm getting sleepy again. I mentally urge myself to stay awake, but I can't win. I, instead, fall back into the fogginess that is now in my brain.

Where is he, Conner?

Who are you to question his authority?

I am merely worried about the outcome of us keeping her here.

I wake up to the same voices I had heard earlier. This time when I try to open my eyes, they finally do. Fuck, thank you. Bright lights appear before me, and shapes soon form coherent pictures. I feel a sharp pain on the right side of my head, and my hand instantly touches the spot.

"Ow!" I winced. "Do you both mind settling down? Your voices sound like two cats scratching their assess." I groaned when I applied too much pressure to the wound.

I saw Conner's amused expression and Daisy's annoying grin. A memory makes its way to the forefront of my mind through the pain. I glare at Conner " I am not feeble, you know. Everyone can't be a jacked-up ninny like you and your friends." I huffed.

"I love a bitch with spunk." He said with a look of appreciation.

Now, I know I should be heated that he called me a bitch, but how he said it made it seem like we were friends. Maybe, there is hope for the idiot after all. I smiled and surveyed the cast on my ankle and the scratches and bruises on my arm and thighs. What the fuck was I thinking? Where am I? How did I even get here? I glanced at Daisy with a confused expression, hoping to get some answers.

"Helena, you were found about five miles out in the woods. Your ankle was broken, you suffered a head wound, and you have plenty of marks covering your lower extremities. What were you doing so far out?" Her curious eyes burned a hole through me.

I don't know if I should tell her the truth. A truth that I can't comprehend. How do you say, "Hey, I saw a giant white wolf and wanted to pet it, so I chased it?". The shit sounds ludicrous when I think about it. I must have been taking longer than I thought because I suddenly heard the impatient tap of heels.

"I can't remember, but I have a better question, my friend. Where am I? Who found me? How long have I been out?" I felt guilty as I questioned someone I called a friend.

"Elijah found you, brought you here, and called the local doctor. We are currently in the east wing of his home, and you have been unconscious for forty-eight hours." She clinically stated.

"Whoa, I have to call my mom; she has probably called the freaking coast guard." I am suddenly worried about the mental state of my erratic mother.

"Relax; I called your mom and told her you were tired after the party, went to bed early, and slept at my house for the weekend. I also told her you broke your phone and would call her Sunday. She was pleased with my explanation." She grinned

"What about school? Surely, the administration called her about my absence." I reasoned.

She folded her arms. "Helena. Do you think me such a dunce? I called the school pretending to be your mother and said you were sick and would be out until Monday. Now, calm down."