CHAPTER 29

The best feeling in the world is finally knowing you took a step in the right direction. A step toward the future where everything that you never thought possible, is possible. (Unknown/Google)

As we walked through the lonely woods, my mind was consumed with revenge. Thoughts of annihilating these horrid, dangerous, impossible creatures swirled like a tornado. My feet stopped moving as those sudden violent thoughts consumed my being, and a moment of indecision passed through my mind. Could I murder someone? Would it be that easy for me to take someone from this world?

A hard nudge broke me out of my thoughts, "Walk faster, human." I turned my head only to be met with cold dead eyes and wondered why this witch would hate me so much. Do the means justify the ends? Isn't every life worth something? As conflicted as I may have been, my rage was still hot like hellfire. "You and your kind will know the loss I feel. I promise you, bitch." The threat rolled off my tongue as I coldly glared at her. She had no idea the power I felt coursing through my veins. Whatever they must have given me was starting to wear off, and I doubt they had any idea. I felt the forest's life reaching out to me with invisible hands. It's energy waiting for me to envelope it. Swallow it whole like a snake unhinging its jaw to eat its prey. "Threats sound like children's stories coming from the lips of a human whore." I gasped at her accusation. "Don't look so shocked and like I'm a fool. You allowed that filthy werewolf to touch you without properly mating with you. It shows how much respect he has for you now. What! "Oh, go to hell! This isn't 1716, and I'm some virgin bride getting tossed to some brute for a political alliance or family advantage. Elijah loves me. And it goes way beyond physical temptation. Oh, and I am still pure if you must now." I scolded her with malice dripping with every word I spoke. But the witch just laughed as if I told the world's funniest joke. I was so caught up in my feelings that I overlooked that I had stopped walking until she gave me another hard nudge.

"Just like a human to think she is still pure just because she didn't spread her legs and lie on her back like a sack of potatoes. I can smell him on you. So, I know he has at least made you orgasm. What do you think is worse? Giving a man the most special thing to you, knowing that he has only given his words but no solid commitment. Or does he know that the man you gave it to disregarded centuries of tradition, disgracing your mate bond without marking you first? Claiming to you and the rest of our world that you were his and he was yours. He cashed in his winnings before he even earned them. And he chose to do it knowing how it would look to the rest of us." Her voice became oddly sad. "What a shame to waste energy on someone that treated you like a notch he needed to add to his belt. You must know Elijah slept with another woman before meeting you." She stated with a mocking stare.

Her words brought me up short. It wasn't like what she said didn't make some sense. Now that I think about it. Elijah and I have yet to discuss the mate bond in depth. I am still determining what marking your mate is. And why would it matter so much that he keeps me before we start being intimate? Was this just some kind of game to him? You could bang the unique tiny human before anyone else. My faith in him wavered slightly, but I would not let this evil troll know. "Hm, I see what the real issue is" A mischievous smile formed on my lips as I gave a light chuckle. "You're speaking from experience. I think you were once one of those notches you speak off. But we are not the same. I've only been on one belt, as you probably have been on more than a few with an attitude like that and the face of a monkey's ass. I don't think you had a lot of options. Sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do, right?" I shrugged my shoulders.

Out of nowhere, a cold wind started to envelop me. It was like an air conditioner inside me, and someone flipped the switch. Within seconds I was shivering with goosebumps quickly developing on my arms. I shakily ran my hands across my arms to warm myself up. But, Jesus, it wasn't working. Pulling my arms in front of me, I noticed my fingertips turning blue. Am I going through hypothermia? My heartbeat slowed down like it was being lulled to sleep. "What in the hell is happening to me?" My speech came out slurred as my body started to sway. The rocks on the ground scraped my knees as I fell to the earth.

"Let's just say I made you as cold as your words." The witch's cold breath froze my ear as she leaned down to whisper her words. "You really should watch what you say when you're just a piece of trash to be thrown into the nearest receptacle. Maybe, I should freeze your tongue next and break it from your body?" I looked up at her; his eyes were pitch black, making me flinch backward. I was terrified; she knew how her lips curled up into a devious smile.

"Lucille, would you let the girl go from your spell? We need her alive; she can not die before the ritual is complete." Sarafina approached us with a nonchalant expression on her face. She didn't care if I died. I just needed to pass at the right time. "You need to focus on the mission and not be baited by the ignorance of this stupid little girl." Her words hurt more than my frostbitten fingers. "Ugh, whatever, just as long as she dies soon, Sarafina." And with that, I could feel my body slowly returning to normal. Exhaustion was the only thing left. I felt like I ran a marathon. "Now, would you look at what you did? We'll have to carry her the rest of the way." Her hands were harshly snaking around my waist, and I had no choice but to lean on her.

I could hear bits of pieces bickering amongst themselves, but I was focused on the woman walking a few yards on the side of me through the woods. I wasn't sure if it might have been a hallucination because I had just tasted hypothermia, but she seemed natural. Her long silvery hair flowed in the wind, her pristine white dress flowing, leaving the longest train I had ever seen. I stared, trying to recognize the familiar silhouette, when her face abruptly turned to me. Silver eyes stared back at me, and I felt safe. I felt strong. Like my body was slowly gaining its energy back. "It's okay, Helena. You're going to be fine. I am here as I have always been." Her gentle voice sounded in my head.

I may not have my mate, but I have the Goddess with me. I knew she would be here. And with her help, I would make those who have wronged me suffer. Revenge, as we all know, is a dish best-served cold. And right now, I was the meanest bitch alive. 

Hey, guys, please vote, comment, and share the story! Thanks, and I love you! Happy Labor Day to all!!!!