𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

A strained smile was apparent on William's face as he sat in the passenger seat. His mother would occasionally glance over at him, but she kept her gaze on the road as her expression mirrored his.

His eyes traced the chipped bark of the trees as they flew past them, the smell of sap and pine trees lingering in the air. Not one tree looked the same. The withered bark splintered, sap seeping from the cracks. For once, William was grateful for his enhanced eyesight.

The La Push Reservation wasn't far from Forks High School, so William wasn't surprised when the La Push Reservation came into view. It was a murky beach, waves crashing upon the rocks and drifting along the shore. A high cliff towered overhead and he smiled faintly as he caught sight of Jacob and Seth.

The tires slowed against the gravel and William lurched forward against his seatbelt. William opened the passenger door and climbed out of the car, lifting his head as he saw Jacob and Seth making their way down the mountain. The boys sported their usual cargo shorts with their cropped hair. Even after all these years, they had stayed the same.

"Hey guys," William greeted as they came closer.

"Hey," Seth breathed, a bright smile on his face. He peered past William, spotting Bella in the car. "We can take William for a while."

Bella smiled at him. "That would be great, Seth."

William turned and nodded thankfully at his mother. "I'll be good here for awhile, Mom"

Bella nodded in response. "Have a great time"

She placed her hands on the steering wheel and slowly reversed before pulling out of the La Push Reservation. William watched her car roll out of the parking lot, and he spun around as she left.

Jacob patted William's back, a joking grin plastered across his face. "Your mother already gotten tired of you already? I have to say, I'm not surprised."

William scoffed and feigned annoyance as he hid the growing smile on his face and ducked his head. His annoyance grew as Jacob quickly grabbed his head and ruffled his hair, trapping him in a strong headlock. William groaned in response, struggling out of Jacob's firm grasp.

Seth smiled brightly at William. "What are we going to do today?"

"I don't know." William shrugged. "Whatever you guys want to do"

"I have the perfect idea" Jacob exclaimed.

"And what would that be?" William questioned.

"We take a run in the woods in our wolf forms."

"Oh" Seth interjected, his eyes flashing with excitement. "We go cliff diving"

"Sure," Jacob shrugged as he buried his hands in his pockets.

"Come on" Seth said excitedly. "I have the perfect spot for phasing in mind."

William shared a look with Jacob, both of them shrugging at each other before running after Seth, playfully shoving each other.

The forest wasn't far, and they reached it with ease as they laughed and joked. For a moment, William forgot about his problems. He was just with his friends, and that was all that mattered.

"You guys are so slow, even as wolves," he mumbled, ducking his head to avoid the branch that was in front of him as they slowly reached the forest.

"How much longer do we have to go through the forest, Seth." Jacob complained.

"Patience, Jacob" Seth chided.

That was probably why they got along so well. Jacob and Seth, at the end of the day, were still teenagers, and they could also have conversations that would typically be seen as above their years. William was just happy around them, and that was a comforting thought.