LIV. Flowers For His Flowers

Chapter 54, Flowers For His Flowers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" We both know you can't make promises you can't keep, but we both also know you always keep them.. "

~ Xiomara's POV ~

I woke up with Rosalía shaking me awake, at first I thought I was late for school but it was a holiday so I didn't need to go anywhere.
That's when I realized that today would be the day dad was calling, I got up quickly and walked to the bathroom.

I brushed my teeth and brushed my hair, as I was walking out of the bathroom, Rosa couldn't wait any longer and practically dragged me out of the bathroom.
As we waited by the landline, I decided to make some breakfast.

I had some toast with mango juice, I sat at the table and ate although Rosalía didn't feel like eating.
She was quite excited for the phone call that she was practically beaming, I was laughing at her.

When the phone did ring, she got scared and ran away from it.
I laughed her reaction as she hid behind the chair, I walked to the phone and answered hearing the warm chuckle thay belongs to my father.

"Hola Princesa, how are you?"

My dad spoke to me, I smiled into the phone as I felt wholesome.
My dad has been in prison since I was right, I have no idea how much time he has left in the prison.

"I'm good Papí, how are you?"

I returned the question which led him to go into depth about him getting into a fight with an inmate for taking his apple, my dad was petty like that.
I laughed at his attempts to reenact the altercation, all I heard was grunts and mutters of curses.

"Papí, do you know how much time you have left in prison?"

I asked curiously as I picked at my nails, I craved my father's hugs and his attention.
He was what every Hispanic father from the hood who has a daughter was, he was a softie for me.

"That's a surprise honey, now where's your hermanita? Rosalía?"

He asked, I looked at the table and waved Rosa over.
A smile broke out on her lips as she ran over quickly, I handed her the phone and sat down at the couch.

My abuela was in her room to sleep, she needed a lot of energy so she was stuck in her room a lot.
I always check up on her and make sure she takes her medication and she eats the food she needs to, I was basically the mother in the family right now.

After about five minutes, Rosa handed me the phone.
She was happier than ever as she skipped to her room and closed the door gently, I had two more minutes on the phone with my father.

"I promise to come home soon, soon enough for your Hermana's birthday and for your friend's wedding."

My dad spoke out to me, I felt shivers down my spine as he made the promise.
I can't have my hopes up because I know he was saying that to make me feel better, but then again I know he means it.

" We both know you can't make promises you can't keep, but we both also know you always keep them... "

I mumbled into the phone, I heard the same soft chuckle coming from my father which was enough for me to smile.
He was always so at ease, nothing made him worried and if something worried him it would be his girls.

"Listen honey, I'll be home before you even blink. I sent you and your sister a gift as well."

He spoke out, I chuckled now before hearing the voice box notified me that I had a minute left on the phone.
I bit back my tears as I realized I didn't want to hang up yet, I wasn't ready even though I've been through this routine.

"Really? What did you send us?"

I asked impatiently as I sat down on the ground, playing around with the landline cord.
My father denied to answer the question and told me it was also another surprise he had for me, I loved his surprises.

"I have to go now, remember princesa: Papí loves you, stay safe and I miss you a lot cariña."

My father told me which broke my heart, I felt like I was nine again, crying because the little voice wouldn't shut up.

"I love you more papí, I miss you more and I'll stay safer than ever."

I responded as tears fell down my face and landed on my bare thighs, soon we hung up and I began to cry again.
After a moment of sobbing my eyes out, j washed my face and blew my nose.

Just as I was about to go to my room, there was a knock on the door which confused me a lot.
I walked to the door and looked through the peephole, there was a delivery man holding flowers.

"Delivery for Esperanza Rosario?"

The delivery man asked as I opened the door, I nodded and grabbed the flowers.
I signed the name and closed the door, I set the flowers on the counter and smiled.

For: Mi Hijas

Papí loves you two, I'll be home soon mijas.

I smiled at the small note and called for Rosalía, it was a bouquet of red roses and white roses a mixed together.
The only two flowers that were different were a Dahlia which is my favorite and a Tulip which is Rosalia's favorite, I couldn't have been more happy.