Chapter 2- Second Nature

"Blaze was the last casualty of the Cult of Gael during the aftermath of the storm." Miss Ashley explains. Despite the fact that I'm still paying attention, I can't help but watch the rain outside. "Though, her true target was Mistress Serene as she blamed her for her master's death. Once Sona was brought to justice, the remainder of the cult went into hiding, never to surface again out of fear of execution. This was true for the original residents of the city at least, they finally knew peace. Unfortunately, the sacrificial ceremony wasn't successful. As a result, Gael returned with the rest of the Eternal Family as castaways. Who here can tell me how many years ago they returned home?" she asks. I quickly turn my attention forward as she looks hopefully around the room, Pearl and Quil raise their hands. She seems to gloss over them since they are the only ones who usually volunteer themselves. Suddenly, I turn to see Aria's hand go up. Miss Ashley quickly sees this and points to her excitedly.

"They returned a hundred and fifty-six years ago in two groups, six months apart from each other. High priestess Aurora was there four years prior." Aria explains confidently.

"Indeed. Thank you, Aria. It's good to see you taking part in class today." Miss Ashley smiles happily "Amongst those castaways here in 2019, who washed ashore along Gael's incarnation, Justin?" she asks as she glances around the room "Alex, how about you?" Suddenly, Alex stares forward nervously. For once, he was actually paying attention. But unfortunately, he never did back when we first talked about the kingdom's rebirth. It sucks for him I guess.

"Um," he begins nervously, "I think that was... Lily, Alice, and uh..." he stutters as he tries to come up with the last name. Alex was a friendly guy and we'd basically grown up together, but he wasn't exactly the smartest person I had ever met. Miss Ashley shakes her head disappointedly as she looks at the rest of us.

"Anyone else care to help him out?" she sighs. I glance at Pearl, but she nudges me to raise my hand. "Ah, Tessa. Go ahead."

"It was Cameron," I state as I carefully glance over at Alex, whose face is currently redder than a lobster.

"Excellent dear." she says kindly "That's all for today's lesson, next class we will be covering the history of the Cult of Gael in more detail. I do hope some of you prepare for it," she explains as she makes her way to her desk. As everyone starts to stand up, I slump back in my chair and lean on the window sill, feeling the light mist blow in from outside.

"Wow, I can't believe you actually put your hand up for once." Pearl giggles as Aria leans on her desk.

"What's it to you?" Aria says defensively as she turns to look out the window.

"Nothing, nothing." Pearl smiles as we turn to watch Alex come over.

"Nice save, Tessy, but at least I got two out of three right." Alex sighs as he leans against the wall. I glance up at him and roll my eyes.

"Call me Tessy again, and I'll break both of your arms." I say as I stand up "And two out of three is good, but I can't believe you forget about Dante. He and Gael had such a complicated friendship back then, how does that not fascinate you?" I ask curiously.

"Old history I guess. Who cares what happened back then anymore?" Alex asks as he shrugs his shoulders.

"More like current events, dipshit." Aria laughs "If Master Arsen knew you didn't respect them, he'd have a fit."

"Whatever, it's not like he's king." Alex shrugs as he heads for the door.

"Does that really matter?" Pearl asks as we begin to follow him out.

"Who cares?" Alex shouts as he starts to dash out in the rain.

"What a moron." I sigh as I shake my head "C'mon, we should head home before the storm fully hits." I say as I glance both ways down the street.