Chapter 66- Panic

"If anyone deserves to know what's going on with the Ancient One's it's me, you had no right trying to keep me out of here," I state angrily as my father practically drags me into the hall.

"Considering the fact that it didn't seem to stop you, that hardly seems to matter." he says irritatedly, glancing back at Kai "Tessa, be honest with me, how did you get past the guards?" he asks, already assuming the answer.

"Piss off," I grunt "It wouldn't have come to that if you would stop treating me like a goddamn child." I sigh, turning around to look back at everyone nervously trying to help the injured woman.

"Maybe if you would stop acting like one," he scoffs "Look, you are a strong, brave young woman, yes. But you have never been through what we have. We are on the verge of a revolution again, and this isn't some sort of game."

"...Are you forgetting what started this all?" I shutter as I turn back to look at him, stepping closer "I was knocked out, kidnapped; I was locked in a cell with a friend, an enemy, and a stranger. I met the brother I never knew I had and saw the horrors of his life and mine, I watched a demon possess the girl had gotten to know, then saw that sociopath traipse around in her body. I was fed off of and treated like a doll, psychologically tortured for a week, trapped underground in a single room where I never got to see the light of day." I explain angrily, tears streaming down my face as I start to head back towards the stairs "You may have seen war, but I've gone to hell and back."

I don't think my father even knows what to say. If I had been confronted like that, I wouldn't have either. I quickly dash up the stairs and push past the guards, running down the hall as fast as I can. I'm not sure where I'm going, all I know is that I need to get out of here. Everything has been too much, and I can't handle it. I just want it all to be over. I want to go outside on my own, but for the first time, I'm afraid. My dad is right, I'm strong, but I'm no match for them. If they found me, I would rather die than go through that hell again.

Eventually, I slow down, catching my breath as I look around, not realizing how I made my way here. I found myself in the hot springs beneath the temple, and the steam felt warm and calming on my skin. I sighed as I sat on the edge of a pool, slowly dipping my toes in the water; this was the moment of peace I needed to help me relax and think. I carefully stripped down to my underwear and climbed in, feeling myself become engulfed in the hot water. As it coated every inch of my body, it initially burned, but I slowly became used to it.

Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. Inhale...

"Tessa?" I'm suddenly startled awake by Pheonix's voice, I must have dozed off. I sit up, rubbing my eyes as I turn around and see him coming in with a few towels.

"Hey," I say quietly "what are you doing down here?" I ask curiously.

"Honestly," he sighs "Checking on a friend," he states as he holds his hand out to me, helping me out of the spring.

"What do you mean?" I ask, confused as I begin to towel myself off.

"My mother heard you fighting with your dad a few hours ago and no one has seen you since," he explains as he helps me ring out my hair "But, seeing as I know you better than anyone, I figured you might be down here. You know it's the middle of the night, right?" he chuckles.

"Old habits die hard I guess." I laugh to myself "I didn't even mean to, I just sort of wandered around till I ended up here."

"Same old, same old." he says as he cocks his sits on the ground beside me "So, do you want to talk about it?" he asks worriedly.

"No," I sigh "Maybe, it's just, they're scared."

"I've noticed." he states "It's never been this bad before. Normally my mother is fearless, but ever since the fight with Ember, it seems like she's lost her confidence," he explains, suddenly seeming nervous himself.