Chapter 7- Close Families

I swear, every festival is better than the last. Groups play music that echoes through the streets, and people dance and sing while the smell of special foods fill our noses. The children, though they don't understand the reason for the celebration, are excited and filled with joy as they run around freely through town. On days like this, the entire city's heart beat as one. As we walk through town, we snack on fried bread and candied fruit. Pearl and I are given flower crowns that decorate our hair while Aria mocks us for being so girly. We don't care, we are just happy to be here.

As the sun slowly begins to set in the sky, we make our way across town to the tavern. When we finally arrive, two guards stand blocking the entrance. Nervously, we approach them. To our surprise, they knew that we were coming and let us right in. Stepping inside, we find that Miss Nanea and Aurora are sitting at the bar talking while Eli prepares their drinks.

"There they are," Nanea says as she spins around to face us "Have you been enjoying yourselves?" she asks happily.

"Yea," I begin "What are you doing here?" I ask curiously.

"Nanea is an old friend," Aurora states kindly "After Nixi told me that she ran into you kids yesterday, I figured that I would reach out," she explains. Aurora is a kind soul. Despite being somewhat young, her hair is silver and bright.

"Wow, we're just learning all sorts of things about you lately," Alex states as he goes to the bar.

"For the record, it's not like I was hiding it." Nanea laughs as Eli hands her a glass of what appears to be moonshine.

"Who's this young man?" Eli asks politely as he looks at Magnus, who is nervously standing behind us.

"Magnus, sir," he says anxiously.

"He's a new friend." Pearl smiles as she pushes him forward "Relax a little, they're nice people." she giggles as we all climb up to sit at the bar.

"Where's Nixi?" Aria asks curiously as she peeks back at the entrance.

"She went looking for Roxie a little while ago, she should be back any minute now." Nanea explains as she sips on her moonshine, suddenly wincing "My gods, are you trying to kill me?"

"Blame my sisters," Eli laughs as he wipes the inside of a glass with a rag "If it's not strong, it's not worth it. Their words, not mine." He explains.

"Hey now, it's not my fault if you can't handle my old recipe." I suddenly hear from behind us. When I turn around, I see the Empress and her daughter standing in the doorway "Nan, I had hoped you could handle this shit by now." she laughs. Suddenly, we all freeze up at the first encounter with the ruler of our empire. Just like Nixi, she already is not at all what I was expecting.

"Mother, please." Desire laughs as she wanders in, leaning against the edge of the counter. She's tall and curvy, her name suits her perfectly. Her long brunette hair is pulled back in a high ponytail, with thick, red streaks flowing through it "Eli, get me started and keep them coming." she orders.

"Yes ma'am." Eli smiles as he starts pouring.

"Well, hello there newbies!" Roxie says excitedly as she comes up to us, leaning between Aria and Alex and resting her arms around our shoulders "Glad you could join our private little party tonight. It's always nice to get some new faces here." she smiles. I am suddenly overwhelmed by how casual she's acting. I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised after meeting the others, but still. This feels insanely bizarre.

"You knew we were coming?" Aria asks as she leans to the side.

"Absolutely honey." Desire states as she starts chugging her first glass.