13: Jarryd

Jarryd hesitated, unsure of his next move. He needed to calm the girl down and find out what she was going to do, now she knew her future. 

Even though she did not seem too keen on the idea right now, she might still rush off to the watchward as soon as she left his sight, presenting herself for duty as a wizard's willing whore.

After all, on closer inspection, she was no girl. A grown woman, she should be wedded by now. He glanced at her hands hanging limply from crossed arms under her head as she wept against her knees.

Seeing none of the trappings of betrothal, a sudden rush of hope took him.

"Whoa," he said, flinging his arms up. He glared at the top of her head. He needed to put some distance between them.

Beyond camp, he leaned into a tree, frustrated with the feeling engulfing him. It was obvious to him now.

Since meeting her, his mind had been busy in the background making plans, busy weaving fantasies, making her his own, busy getting his magic back. Stupid, stupid, stupid. It could not happen.

He punched the tree.

"Dragonrider?"

Jarryd turned and faced the woman with the tear-stained cheeks. For a second he lost himself amid the golden flecks in her brown eyes. Damn Eighalh, he decided. She wanted to ride dragons. He could give her what she wanted. 

She wanted a dragonrider?

For her, he would be a dragonrider.

"Come fly with me?" The words were out of his mouth before he knew he had thought them. "Tonight?"

Her pretty eyes widened. Two tiny tears trembled on her lower lashes. She opened her mouth but no sound emerged. She nodded, setting her curls tumbling.

Yes, he would take her flying. "Can you be here before the moon rises above the trees?"

She nodded once more, turned abruptly, and left, without looking back.

Jarryd clenched his trembling hands.  

He had no right contemplating making this girl his own. He should not even think of taking her home with him to Stakkr for riding lessons. The wizards of Eighalh would have her and, after bearing children, should she turn Dragon Sworn, he ...  

No. 

Jarryd refused to believe his inherent role could become more than pure ceremony.

He was not ready for that.

***

Thanks for reading!

26 May 2021: Final update, synchronising Wattpad, Book Funnel and Kindle versions.

8 March 2017 - replaced with revised version