102: Taniel

At the very last moment, just when I thought Driscoll meant to ignore my pleas, the firedrake veered from his path to the travl-ring. He circled around and landed beside the creek running through the cow paddock.

The sea dragons hovered above us until, one by one, they vanished.

"What is going on with them?" I asked Jarryd as he helped me down.

He shrugged. "No idea. Come on. Let's get this visit done with. Driscoll is furious."

I gathered up my dress and followed Jarryd across the stepping-stones. Bugger Driscoll, I thought. I bumped into the back of Jarryd when he stopped suddenly.

"Driscoll says an Eighalh wizard is here. It's not safe," he whispered. "His dragon is up under the trees there." He nodded across the cow paddock.

I spied the large green dragon sitting in the shadow, head raised, eyes alert and looking in our direction. Close by, the cows chewed on their cuds, staring at the interloper. The green came to its feet and tracked our progress to the back gate.

Without looking at me, Jarryd leaned on the gate and stared at the tavern.

"I'm still invisible?" I edged closer until my arm grazed his.

"Aye. I'll distract the wizard while you get your things and speak to your father."

"Let's go then," I said.

"The wizard knows I'm here, so he'll be out soon. What's the best way to get you inside?"

"This way," I whispered. "We'll go past those lavender bushes and along behind the shed."

Out of the sight of the dragon, I took Jarryd's hand and we walked along the back of the long, low shed. I heard the flutter of wings as the hens, clucking quietly, roosted on their favourite perches.

All else was quiet in the yard as the light faded from the sky. A customer stumbled out the back door, bound for the privy.

Coming out from the side of the building, I looked about, spying a brown-robed wizard. "He is nearly at the gate," I whispered. "You go in the back. I'll go through the side door, through the kitchen."

I darted to the corner of the tavern while Jarryd strolled to the back door as if he belonged.

"Dragonrider," the wizard shouted. "A word, please."

I pressed myself against the wall, unable to tear my eyes away.

Jarryd feigned surprise. "Me?"

Do not antagonise him, I thought.

"You."

Jarryd waited by the door. They were too far away for me to hear once they spoke normally. At the kitchen door, I decided to sneak into the common room from the front. That was where I expected Father to be. I might not be able to talk to him yet, but I could look at him.

The street was eerily quiet except for loud banging from the upstairs balcony. I looked up. A new, shiny, black sign hung from the central support post. Red letters and a red silhouette announced The Prancing Pony.

Satisfied, Peter leaned out over the railing to admire his handiwork.

Guilt fisted me under the ribs. My betrothal to Peter had already caused Father to part with half of his tavern and now it seemed he had sold or given over the rest of it, too. He should not have done that, not for my sake.

My dragonrider would watch out for me.

Father was not in the common room, so I retraced my steps. The backyard was empty. I slipped into my bedroom through the unlocked window. I shoved trousers and shirts into a clean pillowslip. I wanted to wear my boots but they would make too much noise. I found my neatly folded nightgown under my pillow.