82: Dax

Dax rose from his position against the stone wall when he saw Driscoll returning from the mainland dragonhold. Landing, the firedrake waddled to a sunny corner where he collapsed, wings outspread.

Dax ran to him.

Get out of my sun, Driscoll said.

Dax hastened his shadow aside. Most of his dragon's gold-tipped scales had dulled.

"Why didn't you bring him back?" he asked.

He needs some space to remember he is the Keeper.

The sword took him? Dax's jaw dropped, momentarily. But his father is next. Jarryd is not the next.

Clade prophecy says the sword will pass over the Keeper-Elect. Driscoll opened one eye. It is only a matter of days.

Are you saying that this girl of his, Taniel, is not just a dragonspeaker? She will be the One? He felt lightheaded at the very thought. It was his duty to report her to the Clademaster.

He strode from the firedrake. Mouth agape, he imagined black dragons descending on the roof of the castle, cluttering the courtyard, and panicking the dragons in the small dragonhold. He saw their black bodies crowding the tiny island.

The possibility of the One had never entered his head.

It all made sense, now, how things went wrong for him from the second he had seen Taniel. The universe conspired to bring about the ancient prophecy.

For the first time in his life, Dax regretted his status as a Dragon Knight. Starting out as a bit of fun with his Cladling-born school colleagues, it became a welcome social enhancement to adulthood. At every midsummer Claddesh since his bestowment, he had renewed his vows at the Retreat. Accepted the magic renewals brought responsibilities.

His honour hung on his decision. It was his duty to report Taniel to the Clademaster but that meant his unborn daughter would be raised in the Morrdakes.

Decide, the firedrake urged.

Dax turned to Driscoll.

Golden eyes drilled his.

Despair brought him to his knees, groaning, his head in his hands.

Are you done?

Dax's eyelids fluttered as he regained his scattered senses. I cannot, he thought. "I will not," he said.

You decided correct. Taniel is not destined for them.

Only then did Dax notice the mind-lock hovering by his mindpath, ready for deployment if his decision erred.

I do not wish to harm you, Dax. You must not alert the Clades.

He had made the right choice.

I did warn you, Driscoll chided. You should have rejected the final call. I will try to protect you. He sighed. My priority is Taniel. Soon, I will go to Jarryd. I shall eat. Then we return for the girl.

The firedrake rearranged his limbs and stretched his wings. I need you to breach Ritter's shield for me. Listen well.

While listening to his instructions, Dax dusted grit from his trousers, straightened his sleeves, and smoothed his hair.

You know what to do?

Got it, Dris.

Good. Now leave me.

Dax rubbed the ridges on the firedrake's nose. Thanks Driscoll, he said. Should the worst happen, and I must join the muster, I will do whatever I can for Taniel.

It will not come to that. His dragon closed his eyes, rumbling gently. We have an alternate path. Driscoll sighed. Now, go.

We, who is we? Dax thought he only asked himself as he scurried on his way, bound for the Taniel's bedroom to carry out the dragon's bidding.

You do not need to know. Not yet, Driscoll said.

Dax nudged aside the mind-lock and sealed his thoughts.

***

4 April 2017 - replace with revised scene

Thanks for reading!

Vote?

Comment?