90: Hanrey

Hanrey set the tankard down on the dressing table in Taniel's bedroom and eyed the weathered sword box at his feet. He ran his fingers through his thinning hair. The dragonrider's possessions, now stashed under Taniel's bed, had given no clue to the man's identity.

He carried the box to the bed, hoping the sword had not learned how to escape a locked room. He unbuckled the strapping, and gingerly eased the lid open. The pristine blade told him all he needed to know.

It had not bonded another.

Hanrey's relief turned to hope. As her father, he would make the perfect Keeper. Would his old sword let him be Taniel's guardian?

He removed his protective armring.

The golden dragon, etched between the runnels, glowed.

Intense itching drew his gaze to his left hand. Amazed, he watched the old symbol resurface on his palm. The blade did not want more of his blood, it seemed, nor any newly spoken word.

His bond held.

After restoring his armring, Hanrey closed the silk-lined lid over the sword, carried it through to his bedroom, and added it the growing pile on the bed.

He was almost ready to ride. He had not yet fetched coin from the cellar and now he needed the baldric, too. He might as well wear the sword. He must saddle Jess.

Hanrey sighed.

Had he packed enough food?

***

5 April 2017 - replaced with revised scene (yes, keeping you waiting on the castle escape)

Thanks for reading!

Vote?

Comment?