18: Jarryd Commits

Jarryd saw her react to the passion he had put into his mindspeech. A soft gasp from her parted lips and the flash in her eyes gave her away long before she trembled. He recognised the signs.

Rufus is going hunting, so we must dismount somewhere down there. Are you good with that?

She followed his gaze down, frowning, looking dubious. A niggle at his mind felt as if she could be trying to respond.

I'll teach you how to mindtalk.

When she nodded, he congratulated himself on saying the right thing. Facing the front, he gave the dragon instructions to land but, as Rufus adjusted his speed, Jarryd second-guessed his intentions.

He intended to infer in wizardly business. Worse, Mother and Wizard Ritter must have their own plan, else why was he the one carrying out the interception. They probably intended Taniel for his brother. The more he thought about the possibility, the more likely it seemed. Well, too bad.

Serve them right for not trusting him with their latest scheme for power. This time, he would not be the obedient Jarryd they expected. He had a good mind to take the girl home, this instant, and tell them he would be the one to marry her.

A tightening of the arms about his waist brought him back to the now.

The ground approached. Taniel pressed against his back. He berated himself for losing concentration and tightened his hold on her arm. She nudged the base of his skull with her forehead as she tucked in for the landing.

It will be all right, sweetheart. Don't be scared.

"I'm not," Taniel said, her whisper warm on his ear.

***

9 March 2017 - replaced with revised scene

Vote?

Comment?