35: Jarryd - Escape Plans

"Dax, bloody Dax! I should have known he was behind this purple shit."

Fury shook Jarryd, making it impossible to think. He kicked at the dirt, his left hand stuffed under his right armpit, his shoulders hunched in pain. He would not be punching the ground again.

Rufus arrived back from investigating the walls of their magical prison, landing nearby. He shuffled to Jarryd.

"I was right," the dragon said, keeping his voice low. "The shield is weak in the exact spot where we entered the valley. We will leave from there."

"How?" wailed Jarryd, sinking to the ground. He pulled out his damaged hand. The moon hid behind clouds and he could not see the damage inflicted upon knuckles still sore from hitting the tree after he first met Taniel.

Look what she was doing to him. He had never taken his frustration out on inanimate objects before.

A small flame flared from the dragon's mouth. Emerald eyes glinted. The dragon rumbled in his throat.

Recognising the admonishment, Jarryd tried settling his anger while scrabbling around in the backpack for ointment. Finding the jar, he held it between his knees and got the lid off awkwardly. His fingers shook as he spread the healing balm across his injury. He flexed his fingers, surprised his scraped knuckles were not smashed.

Rufus raised the ridge above one eye: quizzical. He swallowed his flame. "Did you explain the importance of closing the mindpath to Taniel?"

"Aye, course I did. But you say it's been open all this time?"

Rufus nodded. "It was open when Dax's magic laid this spell on us, and that seems to have weakened the shield. When Dax is close to Taniel, the mindpath strengthens, or weakens his hold on the spell. Maybe both. If I had spoken to her, right then, Dax would have heard me, too. I think they must have been touching when..."

Jarryd jumped to his feet and resumed pacing.

"Touching? I see." Jarryd turned to look at Rufus. "That makes sense, touching intersects open mindpaths, but I don't see how she would dampen the spell. Unless the spell was invested in only you, not both of us."

"That would be logical," agreed Rufus.

"I'd have to come along for the ride, anyway." Bitterness soured his voice. "It doesn't take much to keep me from getting through a shield."

Rufus sighed heavily. "I don't know why I didn't think of Dax before. I suppose Driscoll is part of this. He is always in everything."

"More than likely." Jarryd nodded. There was a short silence while he thought of Driscoll, the redgold firedrake.

"Anyway, back to getting out of here." Jarryd felt calmer now, and excited at the thought of escaping their prison so soon. "So you think we can escape through that soft spot if Taniel and Dax are... touching," he said, shoving away the image of Dax putting his filthy hands near his betrothed.

"I hope so. It stretched quite thinly. We should be able to force our way through when the mindpaths intersect."

"Dax must be there to escort Taniel to Eighalh," Rufus mused out aloud.

"I doubt it. Mother knew she was a girl. That is why we are here. I'm positive!" Jarryd clenched his fists, the pain unnoticed. "But that's a lot of trouble to go to, just to get me out of the way. Could have locked me in my room."

"I was wondering that, while I was trying the shield. Do you think this imprisonment is your punishment for intending to take things into your own hands?"

"I... Aye. But, Mother is making Dax break them now. He will have Taniel."

"Dax would not." Rufus threw his head up and peered down at him. "No."

"Oh, aye, for sure, with Mother encouraging him. She is always going on at him about ruling Corrangorach one day." Jarryd's voice rose to a shout. "Just think of what Dax could do with Taniel's wild magic and the magic of their children."

"I do not think Driscoll would go along with Dax doing th--"

Jarryd cut him off. "There's only one way to stall Eighalh. The bastard means to wed her," he yelled. "But not before he beds her."

His voice softened. "Even if we do make it out of here, we will never get back in time to stop him."

"You will warn her." Rufus said. He lowered his shoulders for Jarryd to sling the backpack over the holding spike. "You must tell her to touch him skin-to-skin for maximum weakening of the shield. We will break through. Then you tell her to leave."

"I hope this works."

"Quiet, now, for I must concentrate. When Dax draws near, we will get into position. Get on."

Jarryd strapped the bedroll to his back. He mounted.

"This better work," he said.

***

20 March 2017 - replaced with revised version

Thanks for reading!

Vote?

Comment?