xvii

Luckily, Lord Bolton never managed to escape. I was hesitant about keeping him with normal guards since House Bolton is highly respected, but people seemed loyal to me and Robb.

He had written a letter while I stood behind him and forced him to. Theon was to be delivered here as soon as possible, and was going to be brought here by Ramsay Snow himself, Lord Bolton's son.

I had approved the letter before allowing it to be sent, to make sure that nothing suspicious was in it.

I had also written to Catelyn Stark about the fate of Winterfell.

A week and a half had passed since then. I heard cheers, and I smiled at Brienne, who was in the corner of my tent as usual. I figured that it meant that Robb was back

A few minuted later the opening to the tent opened, and Robb walked through.

"Brienne, can you go outside?" I asked, not unkindly. She offered me a small smile and nodded, exiting the tent.

"My love," I said, and stood up from my desk, throwing myself at Robb. I hugged him tightly, and he hugged me back, clinging to me as if I were going to leave.

We stayed in our embrace for a few moments before I pulled away and walked back to my desk.

"As much as I would love for us to speak as husband and wife, we have more important things to talk about first, as king and queen," I said, and picked up the two letters I had received.

I handed him the first, "The Tyrells have allied themselves with Dorne through an engagement between Maegery Tyrell and my cousin Trystane. Their armies will be here within the month," I said, and Robb let out a sigh of relief.

"With them, this war is basically won," He said, and I nodded. It was true. We were growing stronger by the day.

I let him read it, then handed him the second letter. I said nothing as he read it, and watched multiple emotions cross his face; fear, hope, sadness, betrayal, and grief.

He handed the letters back to me, and I could almost feel the anger radiating off of him.

"We need to arrest Roose Bolton," He said.

"I already did that. He's in the stockade awaiting our judgement. I made him write to his son and order that Theon Greyjoy be brought here," I said, and Robb let out a sigh of relief.

"And I wrote to Catelyn. She, Arya, and Arya's friends, along with a multitude of soldiers and others will be traveling to Winterfell to stay there. Catelyn will be in charge until someone can locate Bran and Rickon. I suggested that she let Arya be Lady of Winterfell until we can sort this all out. People have already been sent to the wall to see if your brothers have made it there, and to inform Jon of his inheritance of Winterfell," I said quickly, and let out a breath.

Robb stared at me for a moment, and I couldn't tell what he was feeling. His eyes didn't give anything away.

"You are amazing. I don't know what I'd do without you," He said, and pulled me back into a hug and kissing my forehead. He pulled away and continued, "Now I have to go execute Lord Bolton."

I sighed and looked at him, "Are you sure that's the right course of action? I know he is a traitor, and he will get what it coming to him, but Robb... The Deadfort will go to his son. I've heard rumors, and... I think we should wait until the war is over. Assign a new family to the Dreadfort, and strip the Boltons of their lands and titles."

"He is a traitor, Oberyelia, he has to die," Robb said, and I frowned. He only used my full name when he was upset with me.

"I know that, but now is not the time. It would cause distrust between you and our vassal lords. And besides, the Boltons will be left with nothing. If we wait, we will execute Lord Bolton when the war is over. And strip his son of all rights to the Dreadfort. The Bolton family will cease to exist in the eyes of the law. It will teach a better lesson; that death is not the only punishment we can give," I said.

I knew that I was right. Ruining the Bolton family entirely was justice, in my eyes.

"What if the rumors you've heard are just gossip? I have heard things about Ramsay as well, but what if he is nothing like his father? What if he would be a good lord?" Robb pointed out, and I pressed my lips together.

"Perhaps we can wait until he arrives here with Theon. Judge him for ourselves," I offered.

He looked at me for a second, then nodded. It was the best compromise.

"Robb, now more than ever, we need people we can be sure that we can trust. We inch closer to the throne every single day and we cannot bare to do anything rash," I said, "I love you, but you have a mind for warfare. I have one for politics. It's why we rule as equals."

Robb looked like he agreed, but his eyes widened, "Say that again."

"What? The fact that we rule as equals? It's true," I said, and he shook his head.

"The 'I love you' part," He said, and my eyes widened.

I did say I love you, now that I thought about it. My own eyes widened, and my cheeks redded as I felt my heart speed up in my chest. I did not mean to tell him that, which is silly because he's my husband.

But I have difficulties with emotional things like that. I figured that I'd tall him one day, maybe, but it just slipped out so casually. What did that mean?

"You have never said that before. Every time I have said it, you kissed me," He spoke, and I nodded.

"I- I have felt it as long as you have, but I am not..." I sighed, glancing away from him, "My father and his paramour Ellaria loved each other, but they were not faithful to each other-by their own agreements, but still. My uncle's wife died before I was brought to court."

He looked a little confused as to why I was talking about my family. I ran a hand through my hair and turned away from him.

"I have never seen a relationship like this displayed, not up close. I-I do not know how it works," I said quickly, turning back to him and lowering my eyes.

It was hard enough for me to confess that to him, so I hoped he understood.

He was silent for a moment, before he put a finger under my chin to raise my eyes to his.

"I watched my father and mother in love. They were so wonderful together. I always wanted something like that, but had never known the true extent of how deep it feels until I met you. Being in your presence makes everything easier," Robb explained, and my mouth opened in surprise.

It was no doubt the most romantic thing anyone had ever said about me.

"I know that our marriage is arranged, but I do not know how I got so lucky," I said softly.

"I feel the same," My husband agreed, and we smiled at each other.

It was a balancing act for us. He was honorable and respectful, and I was outspoken and unapologetic. He was teaching me the ways of the north, about morality and a strict honor code that he'd been shown growing up. And I showed him that sometimes you had to forge a new path, like being more accepting of bastards and women.

And he's slowly but surely realized that very few people are as honorable as he is. And I'm realizing that perhaps I should not be so quick to hold resentment against people and forgive more easily.

Our love was powerful.

I wished that I would've realized that something was going to break us apart eventually.

Shit's about real y'all. Strap in and prepare yourself.
<3 :)
-Clare