21| Better than your weed brownie?

The grieving process is something you get through, not something you get over.

Anthony's POV

Michael and Alessia are talking about a video game when the bell rings.

"Damn, late for class..." Alessia sighs.

"We all know you don't care," Michael says.

"Mrs. Li is a bitch. Always sending me to the assistant principal for my clothes." Alessia says.

"At least the assistant principal lets you chill in her office until second period," I say.

"I have an A, so no point in going." She says.

"I'm gonna head to class. I actually need to pass." I say.

"We all know you just want to see Kathy," Michael says.

"Why don't you just ask her out already?" Alessia asks.

I roll my eyes and flip them off. "Fuck you guys. We're just friends." You wish you were more. Shut it.

They start making kissing noises, and I walk away. "Immature assholes," I murmur.

I open the door to my classroom and see Kathy isn't there. The teacher continues to teach while I sit at a random desk.

I subtly grab my phone and decide to text Kathy.

Sunshine:
Are you sick? Nerds usually don't skip

I sit through the 45 minutes of class, and Kathy still hasn't texted me back. Why are you so worried?

I look at the time and decide to skip the rest of the day. I head towards the side exit and get in my car. I use my hacking software and find out where she lives. You're kind of being stalkerish right now.

It's better to be safe than sorry. Now that she's a part of my gang, she also has our protection. If a rival gang attacks someone a part of the Red Claw, it's my responsibility to ensure no one's after them. Or they'll end up like Will.

I drive straight to her apartment complex and park near the entrance. I walk in and enter the elevator. Once I arrive on her floor, I knock on her door.

I hear shuffling on the other side, and the door opens slightly. She's wearing her sweatshirt's hood and doesn't meet my eye.

"Is everything alright?" I ask with concern. "You didn't show up to school. And it's none of my business why, but I just got worried."

She hides her hands in her sleeves and just leans into my chest. I hear her sniffle, and I immediately wrap my arms around her. "Hey..." I say gently, shifting to move inside.

I swallow any nerves I have and move us to her couch. I stabilize her on top of my chest, but she keeps her face in the crook of my neck.

She chokes out a sob, and I feel my heart break for her. I rub her back and console her in silence. "My mom..." She trails off.

"She's been gone for three years, but today always hits the hardest." She says, clinging to me. 

"You don't owe me anything, Sunshine. You have the right to keep things private." I say, wiping a stray tear with my thumb.