⤷ five

༄ chapter five

༄ chapter five

-ˋˏ WELCOME ABOARD, COMMANDER ˎˊ-

STEPPING onto the USS Enterprise was a new experience for Vera. She felt like every step she took should be delicate and respectful, her eyes trained on the many advantages the ship had that seemingly made it better than any other ship Starfleet had, and ever would, own. She had heard many stories of the Enterprise and its accomplishments from Chris, who had gained immediate control over it some years ago and was yet to give up its control to anyone. 

Despite Vera's current view on Chris, and Starfleet in general, she had no choice but to admit who her godfather was, and that was the 'best Captain in Starfleet', a title which Kit had been eager to give him before the resentment towards his father settled in while he went through school.

"Do you...do you think he's still mad at us?" Kit asked, his voice hushed and respectful as they walked along the abandoned halls, which was peculiar, as Vera had remembered ships corridors to always be bustling with people before a mission. At least, that had always been the case on Verenia's ship, the USS Antares, which Vera would often find herself sneaking onto as a child just for a bit of adventure.

Vera scoffed, stepping aside for a single Antarian girl before turning to Kit with a sympathetic look. Even as a child, Kit rarely spent any time with his father out of his own sheer desire to stray from tradition, unlike Vera, who spent the vast majority of her time with her godfather out of the need for a father-like figure in her life. "I should say so, it would be quite a surprise if he was suddenly so forgiving after what we've done."

It was Kit's turn to scoff, prompting Vera to turn towards him with a lifted eyebrow, her expression almost daring him to say something negative about Chris. It may have simply been the idea of Kit being forced around Chris as a child, while Vera volunteered to stay by his side, but that very thing was what defined their attachment to Starfleet. 

While Kit hated Starfleet itself with a passion, mocking it and claiming it to be a fascist governing system that only cared for their own gain, Vera looked at it in a more respectful light. Vera, while she respected Starfleet and what it stood for in the name of exploration, knew she simply wasn't a fit for it at her current place, whereas Kit's very goal was to destroy it, a plan Vera would have wholeheartedly agreed with if not for her sentimental attachment to it, Chris and Verenia and her siblings, and her family's legacy.

"Well, think about it, V. What have we truly done to warrant being labelled deserters?" Kit asked, pushing the subject of his dislike for his father aside, which Vera was more than grateful for.

Thinking on it, Vera knew exactly why they had been labelled the way they were: they were deserters, they were thieves, they had done things that could have easily gotten them killed on any planet but Earth. In the beginning of this entire fiasco, Vera believed wholeheartedly that she was innocent, that she and Kit had only done what was right for them. But now, standing on the USS Enterprise after the trial of a cheating academy student, she applied herself to her situation and what she had done.