⤷ twenty-nine

༄ chapter twenty nine

chapter twenty nine

-ˋˏ JOURNEY TO KRONOS ˎˊ-

"WHERE are Spock and Vera?" Kirk's voice echoed over the bridge as the two in question stood just beyond the glass doors. After their discovery of Nath and his many wounds, as well as Thalia and her guilty nature, the two had hurriedly walked him to the medical bay, where Vera had insisted McCoy look after him, care for his wounds, and not tell a single other soul of his existence on the Enterprise, as some may have deemed it a resounding negative on Vera's own reputation that her own half-brother was a stowaway aboard her ship. As expected, he was very upset seeing his daughter on the ship, promising her the grounding of a lifetime when they got back to Earth. 

As for Nath, though he had been hesitant at first, the doctor eventually gave in, remarking bitterly, 'Dammit, Vera, I'm a doctor, not a babysitter!' to which Vera responded, 'It's not babysitting when it's your own child. And, more importantly, you'll be a babysitter if I say you're a babysitter." The argument was then over. 

As soon as Vera was sure the half-Vulcan boy was secured and happy, she urged Spock towards the bridge, clinging to his sleeve as she dragged him to her, suspecting that Kirk would be in need of them soon for the upcoming mission that was sure to be anything but successful, as it was practically all a death wish. Nevertheless, the two Commanders had arrived at the bridge with impeccable timing, considering what they had just gone through together, both having varying and opposite views on the ethics of Kirk's plan. 

Spock spoke for the two, "Here, Captain." Kirk turned to them, a slightly suspicious expression dancing across his face as he looked to the Vulcan with a raised eyebrow. Vera looked between them curiously, noticing how Spock's face had gotten increasingly more green as Kirk's staring continued. 

But, she couldn't debate long enough to wonder why such a simple few words of attendance would warrant embarrassment from anyone, much less Spock, as she turned to Kirk, her arms crossed and one eyebrow arched, "So, Kirk, any explanation why you want me, a person you actively threatened to kick off the ship less than an hour ago, to join me on such a grandiose mission?" Her tone was sarcastic, almost mocking, and it was Kirk's turn to fade to a bright pink, obviously having hoped she forgot about the entire ordeal. He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly as he walked closer to her, an apologetic look on his face. 

"Look, Vera, I made a mistake. Obviously, you have a right to know what you let onto your ship, and it was stupid of me to think you would just sign off on something without question. You clearly have more experience than me, and I would gladly tell you what was in those torpedos, if I actually knew. So, do you forgive me?" Kirk apology was rather simple, if heartfelt, and for a moment Vera was inclined to forgive the young man on every count.