⤷ thirty-three

༄ chapter thirty three

chapter thirty three

-ˋˏ THE TRUTH BEHIND CORRUPTION ˎˊ-

TO Vera Crynn, there was very little in the world she deemed truly and completely shocking. In most respects, she may find herself reacting aggressively or in a way unwarranted by proper social mannerisms, or even yet she might exaggerate scenarios to make them shocking, but rarely did anything give her cause for worry. 

The latest in the universe aiming to prove her reactions warranted had been the tragic murder of her parents by the same man she now found herself confronting. Before that it had been the survival of Cassius among the threat of imminent destruction. And yet, for the unexpected and scarring shocks Vera had been given since she reunited with Starfleet and it's talks of peace and an idealized society free from conflict - claims she and Kit still found themselves doubting at times when the true evils that lay beneath it's shining exterior became known - the discovery of bodies within the torpedos John Harrison found so dear was not one of them. 

Vera stood beside Carol, both still positioned on the gravel of the planetoid that had been used as a testing sight for the human casings that were so clearly a call for war, but from whom they weren't aware. The mechanic's legs ached as she continuously bent down to wipe spare dirt from the open wounds gained from her skidding to the ground in an attempt to dismantle the torpedo, and she prayed McCoy didn't notice or instruct once again that she be brought to the med bay for evaluation. 

The women waited patiently, knowing the crew of the bridge, as well as likely any other curious or nosy members of the Enterprise, were on their way, both knowing that the explanation behind such a task as pushing a human being inside such ancient weaponry was a question unanswerable. McCoy had assessed the being briefly, but had yet to do an in depth analysis behind the state of the cryogenically frozen creature, human or otherwise. 

"Bones! Vera!" All three Officers were keen to turn their attention from the anomaly in front of them, eyes set on Kirk as he barreled down the ramp and towards his friends, grateful to see no severe injuries or everlasting harm done as a result of his insistence. He rushed to Vera first, grabbing her by the shoulders and practically throwing her around like a doll, seemingly having forgotten the animosity between them, resentment still harbored within the vengeful woman as she remembered again his unwillingness to listen to either her or Scotty in service of making Admiral Marcus happy. 

Nevertheless, she allowed the worried man to pull her into a quick hug, expressing how proud of her he was for dismantling the torpedo, only to be met with Vera's reassurance that, if she was aiming to dismantle a weapon, he could guarantee every time that she would get it done. He then moved to McCoy, pulling the doctor, too, into a hug, before smiling softly at Carol, though the look within his eyes wasn't the same as the Admiral's daughter, a fact Vera was both appalled at and proud of for his restraint.