⤷ twenty

༄ chapter twenty

༄ chapter twenty

-ˋˏ HOME, IN IT'S PUREST FORM ˎˊ-

EARTH wasn't a place of home for Vera, but it was a place of purpose. She knew she would never find happiness in the majesty of particular landmarks or any governments or Federations. But, what Earth did have was people Vera had grown to care about, people she found true joy in and had come to value beyond her own life during the course of her adventures in her newfound position as Third-In-Command, now shared alongside Scotty as Co-Chief Engineer, on the USS Enterprise

Earth would never be the places she had seen, nor was it a planet she belonged on, but it was home to her friends and crew - to her family - and that was enough. On its journey back to Earth, the Enterprise hadn't faltered, and it landed safely, its crew receiving a hero's welcome the moment they exited the beat up ship. 

"I assume you'll be staying with the crew of the Enterprise for the foreseeable future, Lieutenant Commander?" Spock asked as the two set foot on solid group again, a strange feeling for Vera, who had always felt as if walking without the strange movements and ever-flowing underbelly of a spaceship was foreign.

Vera sighed with dramatics, shrugging before she responded with a sly smile, looking up at the Vulcan, "And I assume you're asking because you want me to stay." 

"You are a valued member of the crew, as is everyone else," Spock replied curtly before wondering off behind a set of crates to a man with a vaguely Vulcan-shaped haircut, whom Vera could only assume was Spock's father. Vera chuckled to herself, watching at the Vulcan left and shaking her head at the ridiculous thought that she may get anything more than such a formality from the First Officer. 

As she was left to her own devices, with Kit having gone off with Uhura and everyone else being greeted by friends and family members, Vera decided to wander the barriers of the hanger. It was filled to the brim with ships, cargo, and people, as was normal for any Starfleet hanger, but this one felt different, and it may have been the excess of crews returning from their battle with the Romulans, but it also could have been the heartwarming sight of Verenia, who stood next to the USS Antares along with Cas and Aera. 

A smile spread across her face at the sight of her mother, and Vera's body warmed, as if a light were coursing through it as she ran towards her family, her heels clicking on the metal floors, "Mammie!" 

"Vera!" Verenia called out, her voice light, like a symphony that Vera had so longed for during her adventures, both on the Avalon and the Enterprise. Vera rushed to her mother's arms, burying her head in her chest, warmth spreading over her body at having reunited with Verenia.