⤷ twenty-six

༄ chapter twenty six

chapter twenty six

-ˋˏ THE CRASH SIGHT ˎˊ-

NATH and Vera found their way through the streets of Starfleet Headquarters, eyes occasionally flickering to the other to make sure they were with them and okay. As the elder of the two half-siblings had predicted, the walk was slow and fraught with difficult crowds, as it was a Sunday and Cadets and crew members alike found themselves scrambling to complete any chores, errands, or just simply have fun before their weekend ran out and they were once against thrust into the bustle and repetition of a day on base. 

Half an hour later, Vera and the young half-Vulcan boy beside her found themselves at building A of Starfleet Headquarters, the same building the former had imagined her mother and father figure being wheeled out of, their bodies covered with a respectful white sheet as blood stained where she later knew to be Verenia's chest and Christopher's neck. She had been told her mother didn't die in vain - that she had died saving a First Officer, though no one had told her who - but Vera still felt a sharp pain in her chest when her eyes caught of glimpse of the sliding glass doors that marked the entrance, knowing that she would never be embraced by her mother or father ever again. 

It seemed as if Vera, trapped within her own mind, had been frozen in the same position, her gaze locked on the doors as people came in an out, a subtle unconscious thought in the back of her head hoping that one of the people would be either of those what she lost. It was impossible, of course, as no one could rise from the dead, but the thought was still there nonetheless. Her self pity was broken apart, though, when she felt a soft tugging on her arm, and looked down to see Nath pulling on her jacket, gesturing towards a figure in a red shirt. 

"Come on, we need to meet your..." It was clear he was unsure how to refer to Vera's friend, but she would supply him no help in that.

"Scotty," Vera sighed, finishing Nath's sentence and remembering what had brought them there, "Right, yes, of course." Vera nodded, looking back once more at the doors before following behind the boy. 

They came upon the figure, his back turned as he relayed a speech into his PADD, impatiently tapping his foot as he waited for the arrival of the very same people that stood behind him. Nath waited with his hands behind his back as he stood tall, his attitude more that of a grown adult than a child, so unlike Vera had been at that age. Similarly, Vera stood beside him, her arms crossed over her chest as she waited for her friend to turn around. When he didn't, Vera sighed, cupping her hands over her mouth to shout for him, "Scotty!" 

The engineer whipped around, shock covering his face, as if he was not expecting either of them. He held his hand over his heart as he spoke, trudging towards the pair with quickened steps, "Vera, lass, you gave me quite a shock, I wasn't expecting to see you so early."