You were just leaving

Meanwhile onboard ship

Mike's pov

I went up to deck seven to get some fresh air while Shane and Lisa talked. Stepping outside, I saw Julie standing by the railing a few yards away.

"What are you doin' out here so late, sweetheart?" I put my arm around her shoulders and pulled her close to me.

When she turned to look at me, she smiled brightly. Witnessing how happy she was to see me, I wanted so badly in this moment to tell her I'm her biological father but I didn't.

"Oh, hey, Mike." She laid her head on my shoulder as she put her arm around my waist and snuggled closer. It was a beautiful night but the wind was picking up and it had a slight chill to it. "Same as you I guess, just enjoying the fresh air and the sea," she replied.

After a few minutes of silently watching the waves together, Julie said, "I like when it's so dark at night that it's hard to distinguish the sky from the water, when you can't even see the horizon. I love how they just blend into one and all you can see for miles is ocean, no land in sight. It's beautiful and fascinating. Do you ever wonder what's down there, Mike? What's deep below the surface down at the depths of the ocean floor? How many plants and creatures exist that haven't even been discovered yet?"

I actually thought the exact same thing last night as I stood out on deck.

"Yes, sweetheart, it's amazing. Isn't it? Nothing but water and sky, far as the eye can see. It's truly breathtaking. Puts everything in perspective. Doesn't it?"

"Yeah, like we're just a speck in this giant cosmic universe, so insignificant. It makes me realize that whatever might be worrying me or stressing me out at the moment is really nothing in the grand scheme of God's extensive creation."

I loved hearing Julie speak so philosophically as it's a side of her I rarely get to see.

"I know exactly what you mean, darlin', I feel the same way." I sighed and rubbed Julie's arm as I kissed the top of her head.

Without taking her eyes off the sea, Julie said, "Thanks for taking us on this trip, Mike." Unbeknownst to me, tears sprang to Julie's eyes. "And thanks for being here for us and taking care of us even though you didn't have to. You and Shane are pretty great guardians. I'm gonna miss you guys when I go away to school." Julie sniffled, making me aware she was crying.

"Awww, don't cry, sweetheart." I wiped the tears from her cheeks.

"Why did you do it, Mike?"

"Do what, baby?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Why did you and Shane give up your lives to raise us? I mean you didn't even know us, we were just strangers."

Well, she's not wrong. At the time Neil asked me to become their guardian, I had no idea Julie and I were related.

"Hmmmm, I don't know if I can answer that, Julie." I've honestly never truly analyzed the reasons why I agreed to become a guardian to orphaned kids.

"You don't know or you don't want to say?" Julie asked innocently.

I chuckled.

"I guess I would have to say I didn't know why at first. Dr. Curtis asked me and I had no idea why or if it was even a good idea but when I saw you and Stacey for the first time, I knew I had to try." Smiling at my beautiful girl, I clarified, "You both looked up at me wide eyed with such pure innocence, fear, hope, and sadness, I just knew I wanted to help you. I mean don't get me wrong, I had no idea what I was doing and the two of you honestly terrified me."