11 - The Plan in Action

The next day passed quickly, much to Ellie's and Hermione's discontent. The sun shone brightly as if it mocked Ellie's frustration. The crowd of students in the courtyard were astronomically high as if someone had summoned everyone to congregate there.

"I don't want to do this," Ellie muttered to Hermione, who stood next to her with an equally reluctant manner.

"If it'll make Malfoy get off our backs, you have to," Hermione reasoned with a near whisper-like tone.

"What if he's a terrible kisser?" Ellie frowned in attempt to back out last minute. "I don't want him to eat my face."

"You were confident about this last night, Ellie. Don't back out now," Hermione urged, though her tone indicated her disgust.

"Fine," Ellie huffed reluctantly. "I just... don't want to hurt anyone."

The two stared at the courtyard, their eyes flickering from Draco to Cedric.

"Are you ready?" Ellie mumbled as she watched the blonde's expectant expression from afar.

"I hope so," Hermione squeaked, knowing that her reaction would be genuine.

Ellie took hold of Hermione's hand and gave it a gentle squeeze before letting go. She flashed a reassuring smile before bringing the Gryffindor with her, just within earshot of Draco and his goons.

"Hermione, I'm just going to talk to Cedric really quick. I'll be back, okay?"

Hermione nodded as she gulped fearfully, already feeling uneasy. She glanced at Draco's face, noticing his prominent smirk from her peripheral vision.

Ellie took a deep breath as she strode towards the older boy quickly, shaking her hands nervously. She groaned at the sight of his surrounding friends, including the fair share of girls attempting to gain his attention.

"Hey, Ellie. How are-" Cedric greeted with a smile upon seeing her.

His question was cut off by Ellie, who smashed her lips against his passionately, pulling his head downwards. She rummaged her fingers through his fluffy mess of hair, clutching onto it as she reluctantly dove deeper into the kiss. Though he was completely caught off guard, Cedric dropped his bag as he moved his hands to Ellie's waist, pulling her closer. His strong hands gripped Ellie tightly as he gladly kissed her back with the same intensity. They heard the loud whoops and laughs of not only his friends, but the nearby audience. Just before Cedric could continue the kiss further, Ellie broke away breathlessly, feeling extremely uncomfortable at the sudden attention.

"Blimey, Ellie. W-What was that for?" Cedric gasped.

"I had to," Ellie explained bluntly before turning to look at Hermione.

Ellie found that the Gryffindor's entire complexion has changed, the color seeming to have been drained from her skin. She looked nauseas and heartbroken at the same time, shattering Ellie's heart into pieces. Hermione turned away quickly as she broke into a run into the opposite direction.

Ellie immediately stormed to Draco, fuming with anger at Hermione's reaction.

"Look what you've done! Are you happy now?" Ellie snarled.

Before he could answer, Ellie already left in pursuit of the Gryffindor. She chased Hermione down a short path, right to a deserted section of the school as she saw her hunched over a bush. Ellie quickly pulled Hermione's hair back as she hurled another heaping wave, her eyes watering at the action. Hermione pulled back hurriedly as she withdrew her wand to clean up her mess.

"Scourgify," Hermione muttered, the remains of her vomit vanishing altogether.

Ellie quickly pulled a water bottle and a pack of spearmint-flavored gum out of her bag and handed it to Hermione. She took the items gratefully as she rinsed her mouth with the water, putting two pieces of gum in her mouth. Hermione returned the bottle and pack thankfully, nodding in appreciation as she frantically chewed on the gum.