chapter 32

Madison Marshall POV

"Madison, the federation wants you to put out an official statement apologizing for the video you put up and want it taken down. It's causing a lot of bad press." The team publicist, Harry, announces in one of the conference rooms at the hotel.

"Why would I? I spoke the truth and said what I said." I face Harry and Vlatko and speak with my chest.

"You spoke ill of the federation and their stance on Black Lives Matter." Harry continues.

"I spoke the truth and I am not going to be shut up by the system. I will not remove the video. Who's going to stand up for the people who don't have a voice? Who is going to stand up for the people who have lost their life because of police brutality?" I say firmly.

"Madison, we understand and are frustrated over the system failing people, but your job is on the line. They may even fine and sue you." Vlatko says to me with sympathy.

"I am not pulling the video. The only bad press is coming from racist reporters with racist audiences. I am willing to risk my career for the lives of those who are oppressed and not given equal rights. This federation is only a small part I can affect but at least it's something. I also doubt the federation is going to do anything to me, it's too much of a risk for them and their image."

"You haven't been here long, Madi. You don't understand that the federation will keep digging into your past to find something to blackmail you with." Vlatko stands and kneels next to me.

"Like what?"

"Your mom and her addiction. Your seizures. Your marijuna medication trial. Cameron's addiction."

"What do my mom and Cameron have to do with this? It's about me!"

"They'll find a way, they always do." Vlatko stands up and walks away.

"I'm not taking it down. I am not apologizing." I stand up and walk out of the room.

I head to my room hoping it's empty, but of course Kelley and Cameron are in Cam's bed together. I smile at them.

"What was the meeting about?" Kelley asks.

"The Federation wants me to apologize and take down the video." I say taking off my shoes and hopping in between them. "If I don't there's a high risk they are going to blackmail me into it."

"That's not okay. Do you know what you are going to do?" Kelley asks as Cameron is fully attentive as well.

I nod. "I'm leaving it up and not apologizing. It needs to stay up."

"It's your choice and I will support you in whatever you do." Cameron tells me and hands me a water bottle from the counter. "But I see you getting a little worked up over it just relax a bit."

After her words, I noticed how tense my body was from the frustration and anger of the systems shutting people up. "Thanks." I say grabbing the water bottle. I try to open it but my hands were shaking too much. I catch Kelley and Cam glance at each other before their eyes meet mine.

"Here, let me get it open for you." Kelley says grabbing it and unscrewing the top before handing it to me.

As I grab it and put it towards my lips my hand continues to tremble so I take the second hand for more support. After I manage to take a couple of sips, I speak. "You are right I think might be worked up."

Cameron shakes her head in confusion. "You haven't had hand tremors since you left the hospital."

"Hey, hey I really just think all the stress with social services and now the federation is catching up to me. Just gotta relax." I say handing the bottle back to Kelley as she takes the hint to put the cap back on. I lay myself down. "Just cuddle me. I need a nap."

                                .............

I wake up from my nap and look over to Cameron and Kelley who are still asleep. I exhale a long sigh as I feel the weight of everything catch up to me. I slowly get out of bed not wanting to disturb Cam and Kelley's nap. I slip on my shoes, grab my key card and phone, and head out to the common room we have in one of the conference rooms.

"Hiya, we haven't had an official chance to meet yet. I'm Kristie!" Kristie hops up from her place at the table.

"Hi." I chuckle and look around the room to notice it is empty. "Madison, but you can call me Madi. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt if you wanted some alone time in here."

"Nonsense! If you want to hangout with me over there and get to know each other, come join. Or if you came to be alone, I promise not to bother you." She smiles and heads back to her table. I contemplate her words and decide to join her knowing my mind is too overwhelmed to be by myself.

"Sammy talked about you a lot and how you guys did everything together." I start a conversation as we sit next to each other.

"Everything! Yet, we differ in many different ways, but I love our friendship. I always know I can fall back on her and vice versa. You know what I mean?"

"Yeah, I get it. You and your sister are like me and Cam. I know we aren't related but she goes to the end of the Earth to make sure I am able to survive in this world and I do the same. Yet we have very different personalities."

"So, how much shit are you in from that video you posted?" She moves from her chair to sit at the edge of the table and faces me. I laugh.

"The question I keep getting asked and the simple answer is a lot." I see her engaged so I expand. "They may bench and fine me. They may blackmail me and the people I care about. Let's just say they will do whatever is in their power to remove that post."

"Well, let me tell you something. What you did was needed and needed to be done. I know the team and staff will support you if you are under attack from the federation. But let me let you in on something," She leans forwards and proceeds to whisper. "The federation will cave."

"I hope they do. I don't need this stress on top of everything going on right now, but it's necessary to keep the post up to show people they have a voice and to be the voice of others." I sigh.

"Well I know you know that you can fall back on the team for support when things get hard."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
just wanted to post this before the holiday tomorrow as a gift to all of you supporting and enjoying this book. Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday!!

Appreciate you all,
~AK