chapter 38

Madison Marshall POV

"I've missed you guys." I say snuggled between Tobin and Christen. Christen strokes her fingers in my hair and hums. "I'm sorry for not calling you guys."

Tobin is quick to reply, "It's okay, kid. But you do know we are always here for you. We care about you more than you realize."

"Were you upset when you found out?" I question naively snuggling closer in Christen.

"If we are being honest, yes. But just like Tobin said, it's because we care about you. We just wanted to be there for you in any way, shape or form. We just want to reassure you that we will always want to be involved and help."

"I love you guys."

"How have your symptoms been?" Tobin asks curiously.

"I don't know if it's the stress or what not but not so good." I answer honestly as I make eye contact with her. "My tremors are back as you know but they are worse to control now. Also the seizures are coming back more frequently."

"I think your seizures are from the stress and the tremors side effects of your medication. When did the seizures happen more?"

"The day Cam and I realized my mom hasn't contacted either of us. It just progressed from there on. Some days I would have three to four a day and others none." I explain.

Christen gives my arm a gentle squeeze bringing me comfort. "I can't imagine how you are feeling dealing with such an unknown. That type of stress would for sure be triggering for your epilepsy."

"I'm doing my best to distract myself and remain positive, but I'm tired guys. I'm so tired." I admit to them and see their faces grimace.

"We got you, Madison." Tobin whispers using her thumb to rub my hand.

...................

"Hello, is this Madison Marshall?" The person on the other end of the line asks as they wake me.

"Yes, this is her." I say not fully alert and still very sleepy.

"Hi Ms. Marshall, my name is Detective Shawn Lopez. I have some information regarding your mother, but would rather do this in person if possible." I quickly wake up at the mention of my mom and walk outside to the balcony in my hotel room not wanting to wake up Cameron. My mind starts going a thousand miles an hour connecting dots like how do detectives have information about my mom if we didn't even contact police about her disappearance. Why would they want to give information in person?

"I'm currently with my national team across the country about to play a match in a couple of hours." I decide to rip the bandaid. "Is she dead?"

There's a pause before the detective takes a deep breath, "I'm sorry to inform you, but we found her body a few hours ago. She was too far gone to be brought back."

"What happened?" I say numb.

"It looks like an OD, but there are signs of strangulation and a fight so that's why my team came in to decide if it was a homicide. We don't know details, but when you head back to New Jersey we can discuss things further. I will also need to get your statement."

I run my hand through my hair, "Um, okay." I say only able to get those words out still in shock.

"I'm so sorry for your loss again. Please let me know if there's anything I may help you with. I will text you my number when we hang up."

"Okay, bye." I end the call and catch that the time is 5:24am.

I don't know how to feel. We've been searching for weeks and out of the blue I get informed she's gone. Just like that. I numbly head back to bed and just bring up the blankets to comfort me even though I know I won't be getting anymore sleep.

I'm lost in thoughts when I hear Cam's alarm going off before she snoozes it. I take that as my que to get ready and head down to breakfast as I still don't believe what's happening. To my surprise I'm the first one in. I barely have an appetite but grab cereal and a banana in order to take my meds and take my usual seat. Slowly the room starts to get filled by staff and players.

"You look like shit." Sonnet says sitting next to me.

"I feel like shit." I shrug her comment off hoping she'll take the hint to leave me alone, but nope, she begins to look concerned. Ugh, just what I need.

"You okay? What's wrong." She says as Mal and Lindsey come catching on to the conversation.

"I'm fine, don't worry about it. Just didn't sleep well."

This time Mal speaks up, "You usually sleep fine before games. Did something happen?"

"No. Can we just drop the subject." I say before continuing finishing my banana. They take the hint and let me be. Soon we head back to our rooms, grab our gear, and head to the bus. I managed to not get questioned further from anybody.

"You okay?" Cameron comes up to me in the locker room before warm ups. "You seem zoned out."

"Mhm. Just tired."

"Did you not sleep well? There's bags under your eyes." She says concerned.

"I just had a bad dream and couldn't fall back to sleep." I lie.

She grabs both my arms, "Listen if you need to sit this game out, it's okay. I don't want anything happening to you, especially since you're not fully rested and it could trigger seizures."

I put on the best fake smile, "I'm okay, Cam. Can you just help me lace my boots and we can head out to the pitch."

Soon we finish warmups and the whistle is blown to start the first half. With Canada, the game is always aggressive even if it is only a friendly match. Their defense has gotten better as the end of the first was zero-zero. Usually we are able to score at least once. As we head off the pitch for half time, I gaze over to Jessie who I catch looking at me already. She smiles from afar, but asks if I was okay. I just put my thumbs up and give her a tight smile before following my team. I get handed a water bottle and keep to myself. Before I know it, I'm back on the field. Second half is much more up-tempo. Our pace picked up significantly catching the opponents off guard as they tried to catch up. Christen gets subbed on and that's when we finally get on the scoreboard as I assist her. Christen and I continue working our magic as yet again I assist from the 40 yard line for the ball to find her as she nails another one in. I run and jump in her arms. The game finally ends 2-0.

"Christen. Madison. You're on post-game media." We nod, quickly showering and changing before heading to the booths set up for us.

"How big was this game for you guys?" A reporter asks.

"Every game is big as every game prepares us for the next." I answer.

"What do you think you've improved on during the second half? We all saw the change, especially when you came on the field Christen." Another asks.

"Well, Vlatko pointed out some broad things and changed the formation slightly. As for me, whenever I work with Madi, our connection on the field is undeniable." Christen answers.

"Speaking of, Madi, you've played tremendously well today. How did you manage to push away the emotional news of your mom's murder for today's game." The reporter follows up.