chapter 13

Madison Marshall POV

"So are you ever going to tell me what happened when I called you last time." Jessie says as we facetime. I'm sitting outside on a bench overlooking a river. We have a small break until our second training session tonight. I haven't spoken to Jessie since that night she read to me even though she has been trying to get in contact with me everyday since.

"It's over and done. Why bring it up?" I say wanting nothing more than to avoid the topic altogether.

"Um because someone was screaming bloody murder in your house and you are looking more exhausted than usual. I want to make sure you are okay," Jess says.

"Well I am okay." I firmly state not wanting any room for hesitation from my end.

"Okay, so how has your school work been?"

"Getting easier. I don't know if you remember Cameron Santiago, she played for the team once," I see her nod so I continue. "She's one of the reasons I don't call you for help anymore. She has been helping me with most of the stuff."

"Ah but that's okay. I'm happy you have someone in person. I know virtually going over something isn't the same."

"So how's college going?"

"Not bad at all. It's almost finals season so that's a joy." She says sarcastically and chuckles.

"You have a beautiful laugh." I say without thinking. What the hell, Madison.

"Not when I snort." She laughs a little harder.

"No way! You are not a snorter." I laugh thinking about it.

"Swear!" We break down laughing.

"So tell me, Jess. Where would you be without soccer?" She looks intrigued by the question.

"You want an interview answer or an actual answer?" She questions me.

"I think you already know the answer to your question." I wink.

"I would probably be in college in Canada with the same two majors. I would have a job that I like to do and travel. So really not much would change except that I wouldn't have met the people I've met through soccer. But, I can't imagine a life without soccer." I stare at her while she talks. "How about you?"

"I feel that. I really only have soccer going for me right now. If I didn't have it I would probably be in my hometown just working and going to school. Soccer has opened so many opportunities for growth and travel I would have never gotten without it."

"Cheers to that." She says picking up a glass of water and I pick up my bottle virtually clinking drinks. We talk for a couple of more minutes before I have to go to training.

.............

"Stay on her!" I shout to Cameron as she is losing the mark she is supposed to cover. We are in the middle of a 6v6 scrimmage and I can see Cam losing her focus. I know she is probably overthinking and worried about how not playing for two years will affect her.

"Fuck!" I see her get frustrated as her mark scores a goal. She walks off the field just cursing at herself.

"I got her." I say to Ashlyn as I see her making her way to her. She looks hesitant but let's me go.

As I make my way to Cameron as the next teams play, I tell her, "Cameron, it's okay to be frustrated but you can't let your emotions stop you from playing the game. We talked about this."

"I know, I know. I have been away for two years and I just need to get back in the groove of things." She says repeating the words I told her on the flight to camp.