chapter 2

"So she has not contacted anyone in two years?" I question Kelley as we sit in the coffee shop down the street. I see her frown some more as she remembers Cameron.

"Nothing. The first few weeks when she left she would just send a text every now and then saying she's okay, but then she stopped. Nobody knows where she is or if she is even safe."

"Do you think she's okay?" I said knowing how naive it sounded when it left my mouth. Kelley opens her mouth to say something but the words don't seem to come out. She closes her mouth and opens it again.

"I really don't know. She's been through a lot. A lot more than anyone her age has to endure. Hell, more than anyone should endure in their lifetime. But she's a tough kid and survived a lot. When she left, she left me a note saying for me not to wait for her to return. She wanted to be alone and figure out who she was or wanted to be. She stopped everything she was passionate about, including soccer."

"Is Mason her son?" Kelley told me a little bit of her past but didn't mention him.

"No. It was her old foster sister's, Abigail's. She passed away and left all the rights to Cameron but before Cameron disappeared she signed the rights to Mason over to Ali and Ashlyn." I nod as I begin to understand the connections.

"I'm sorry I brought her up. I was just curious." I lower my eye contact as I see tears form in her eyes.

"I loved her. And I keep thinking that if I just tried a little harder she might be here with us."

"But you can't think like that.You can't change the past." I am quick to say.

"It was rough when she just stopped contacting us. Ali and Ash were a mess and were trying to raise Mason while playing on the team. Everyone just wanted to make sure she was okay but it was impossible. We even tried to hire a private investigator to find her but there was no trace."

"You can't find someone who doesn't want to be found. And you can't save anyone who doesn't want to be saved." I say but my thoughts connect to something personal but it also connects to Cameron stuff.

"You okay?" Kelley says. "You zoned out."

"Um yeah, sorry. It just made me think of someone."

"You want to talk about it?"

"I'll be okay." I smile.

"Is your mom coming to the game in a couple of days?"

I shake my head, "She's busy with work."

"You've started three games. That's a big deal especially since you are so young. You can only get better. Is there a reason, maybe the team can help out to get her out here or some other of your family members." Kelley says wanting to help out in some way.

"I really appreciate it, but it's tough with her work schedule. We really don't have anyone but each other since my dad passed away. When he died his side of the family just abandoned us and took everything he owned." I say.

"Well you have teammates that support you always." She playfully nudges my shoulder.

Soon we get up and head back to the hotel. We go our separate ways and I see Alyssa laying in bed working on something on the computer. It's already a little past curfew so I just change and scroll though the channels on the TV hoping for something good. Reality TV is my guilty pleasure.

"Madi, your phone is vibrating." Lys passes me my phone that was charging next to her. "It's your mom."

"Thank you." I answer the phone and walk outside. "Hi mom, you okay?" I say knowing it's late on the east coast because of the time difference.

"Hi Madison. I'm okay. How are you?"

"I'm okay, missing you."

"I miss you too, sweetie. Listen, I need to borrow some money."

I stay quiet on the other side of the line and lean my back against the wall of the balcony.

"Mom." I sigh running my hand through my hair. "How much this time?"

"200 dollars. Listen, work was very slow today and I didn't make as much as I usually do. You know I wouldn't ask unless I needed it." She says sounding desperate.

"I have some saved but I was going to put it toward the bills and my medication."

"Madison, please I need it. Please kiddo."

"Fuck mom, okay. Okay." I do some quick stuff on my phone and continue. "I just transferred you the money. That's all I have mom."

"I love you so much. Thank you."

"I know. I don't think I can help you next time round, mom. I just want to give you a heads up."

"This is the last time, I promise." I sigh as the words leave her mouth knowing it definitely won't be the last.

"I'm going to bed. I love you, mom. Stay safe."

"Goodnight, Madison."

I hang up the phone and slide down the wall. Truth is my mom is usually never home. She works the streets selling herself. Her pimp rarely allows her to leave his sight unless it's to do her job. She's also a heroin addict for as long as I can remember. Dad met her when she was working and she ended up getting knocked up, but he wanted the child so he decided to marry mom. He took care of me and the bills and gave mom whatever she needed. His family hated me and my mom since they found out the truth of what she does. Once he passed, I had to step up. I started working at 14 years old at a butcher shop getting paid under the table. It wasn't much but it was enough to get by. I was in charge of paying the bills and putting food on the table for myself and my mom if she was around. Sometimes she needs extra money to get her drugs but if I don't give it to her she'll find it else where and somewhere more dangerous. My mom isn't a bad person. She just got sucked into a life that's not easy. I don't blame her.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
so you remember how I said this book was going to distract me? instead of studying I just wrote multiple chapters for this story today so can someone put me in my place, i won't be offended.

also Portland and Houston won! my two favorite teams (both my number one pick)

also if you watch the 100, this last season is my favorite and would love to discuss!

anyways much love peeps,
-AK

ps there's still a pandemic going on, where a fucking mask ;)