chapter 34

Madison Marshall POV

"Cameron, I think I figured it out?!" I jump out of my bed with my laptop in hand.

"Figured what out?" She asks confused, still laying in bed.

"I don't know how we didn't think of this sooner." I exclaimed. "What if my mom signs over her rights over me like you did with Mason."

"Wait, that's brilliant! How did this not come to anyone's mind sooner?" She says finally getting out of bed. "We've done it before. I'll get custody over you."

"Wait, you can't." I shake my head.

"And why not?"

"You don't need that type of responsibility. Nobody does." I say feeling guilty for wherever is going to be responsible for me. "I don't want anyone to sign up for something out of guilt and pity."

Cameron looks at me and steps closer. "You do know some people on the team will do it in a heartbeat from the goodness out of their heart and purely out of good intentions."

"I know, and I know I shouldn't feel like a burden but it is hard after everything."

"I know," She hugs me. "Do you have any idea who you would want to be your guardian though?"

"You." I say without hesitation and meet her eyes as they lit up.

"I would be honored." As the words leave her mouth I jump into her arms.

"All we have to do is wait for her to call as usual and let her know she needs to come and sign the papers once we get them finalized from the lawyer." Cam says in our hug.

"I hope all the paperwork is done before we return back to camp! This way they can finalize and review everything while we are away."

................

"Cameron." I say with slight concern in my voice. She stops eating and looks up from her dinner to follow where my eyes are gazing. "It's getting worse." My voice shakes as I am truly concerned with my hand tremors as they continue to get worse as I can barely keep the soup on the spoon. I can see her eyes droop into sadness and pity knowing she can't do anything to help me.

"What did the doctor tell Tobin when she called?"

"It could be a side effect from the meds or I am growing a tolerance to the amount I am being given. She said if more of my TBI symptoms come back, I am building a tolerance. Fuck me, right?" I chuckle sadly. Of course, once I start progressing, shit gets worse.

"Stop, you are going to be okay!" Cam reassures me but I feel nothing even close.

"We've been saying that. I just don't know anymore." I shake my hand. "I'll never be what I once was."

"You are right, but you have to play with the cards you are dealt. Never fold."

"Cam. You need to stop playing poker. And 'never fold?' That's why you also lose all your money quickly." I laugh remembering how when we come back home we all head to my boss'/uncle's house for a poker night. Cameron is always the first one out.

"I'm offended. I am a great player." She looks at me awkwardly before asking me, "But anyways, do you want me to feed you?"

Instead I lower the spoon and use both my hands to pick up the bowl of soup. "I got this." I wink and guide the bowl to my mouth stabilizing it as much as possible.

She shrugs her shoulders, "I figured you wouldn't accept, but had to try."

"Has my mom reached out to you at all?"

Cameron thinks for a moment before realizing, "Now that I am thinking about it, the last time she contacted me was in the middle of camp. That was eight days ago which is unusual."

My mind starts racing with thoughts. What if something happened to her? What if she's hurt or needs help? What if she had the wrong client? I stand up from my seat and start searching for my phone. I find it in my room and immediately call her number as I feel Cameron enter and stand next to me.

"She's not answering. Something isn't right." I raise my arms and put my hands behind my head. "Cam, something isn't right." I stress. "We didn't even notice she hasn't called until now."

"We can't panic until we have something concrete to panic about." Cam guides my hands to my side. "She'll be okay."

"Or she can be dead or in jail or hurt!" My mind spins out hypothesis after hypothesis. I know she usually calls Cameron every other day. I don't know how we haven't noticed. This is very bad and the longest I haven't heard from my mom.

"Madison, hey hey, look at me." Cameron grabs both sides of my face. "How about we drive around. I know some areas she used to hang around and if you know any we'll go there too."

"Thank you." Is all I say before we grab what we need to and head to look around.

"So me and your mom used to work around this area a lot. Hold on, I see someone that might help. Stay here." She tells me. "I'm serious, if the wrong people see us it's dangerous."

I nod fast, "Okay go. I promise to stay here."

She closes the driver door and jogs over to an older lady standing in front of the motel. It took a few seconds but the lady recognized Cameron and immediately hugged her. They have a short conversation as Cam keeps turning to look at me to make sure I am in the car. Cam pulls out cash from her wallet before giving it to the lady and hugging her goodbye before she makes it to the driver's seat.

"Your mom was last seen with a client two days ago. The girls haven't seen her return and a lot of them are worried but we can't really do anything. It's dangerous if we come across the wrong person." As the words leave her mouth, I can just feel my body give in to the stress. I want to speak but my mind is jumbled and the smell of burnt toast overwhelms my senses. "You okay?" Cameron asks, squeezing my hand. "Madison, talk to me." She pleads as she doesn't get a response. I feel her let go of my hand and hear the door open and close before my door is opened and she pulls the chair as far back so she can get a better look at me.

I feel the aura leave my body and turn to face Cameron as she squeezes my knee.

"Did you just have what I think you had?" I nod to the question. "Shit, okay let's get you home." She says putting on my seatbelt before getting herself situated and driving home. I remain silent not knowing what to do as Cameron tries to comfort me as much as she can while driving.

As Cam parks the car in the driveway, I get out of the car as she follows me carefully and I find myself gravitating towards the couch. I feel a tear roll down my face and wipe it only for more to fall.

"Hey, hey. It's okay, Madi. You're okay. Things are going to be okay." As soon as she pulls me into a hug, I feel myself crumble in her arms. I let everything out as I ugly sob in her arms.