chapter 7

"So, how's tutoring with Jessie?" Naeher asks as we get ready for some press.

"Well, there is hope I may pass my test and pass the class if I keep practicing. But I have to give her a lot of credit for being patient." I genuinely say remembering our breakthrough when I finally started to understand concepts. It took hours, but we did it.

"I'm so happy to hear that little one." She ruffles my hair. "So, they have me and you for one interview and I think you are with Sonnet and Press for the other ones."

"There's no need to be nervous right?"

"As long as you aren't hiding anything." I feel time freeze. "I'm joking, relax. Just answer their questions and if you have trouble, whoever is with you will try to help you out. That's why they didn't have you going solo today. First media day for you."

"Oh okay good good." The tension leaves my body.

"You ready to head out?"

"Yeah, can I have a piggy back ride?" I give her my puppy dog eyes. She rolls her eyes before she squats down and I hop on.

..........

"Okay, so we are going to do superlatives." One of the interviewers said to me, Sonnet, and Christen. This was our last interview of the day and to say I'm exhausted is an understatement.

I turn and whisper into Christen's ear, "What's a superlative?"

Without judgement or hesitation she tells me, "Naming someone who can be related to the statement."

"Okay, first one. Who's most likely to be late to breakfast?" The guy says.

"Crystal!" We all say at the same time.

"Most likely to prank the team?"

"Sonnet, and the youngster crew." Press says and we nod agreeing.

"But Kelley is good at scares if they count as pranks." I put in.

"Mom of the team?"

"That's a tough one because the veterans all feel like moms but in different ways." Sonnet replies.

This back and forth of questions goes on for about five more minutes until we are officially done for the day. I go back to my room wanting to rest from a long day of being social. As I walk down the hallway, I see Jessie.

"Jess!" I wave her down. She's wearing some soccer shorts, a plain black t-shirt, socks and slides. Her brunette hair is out of it's usual ponytail.

"Hi! I was just heading to your room." She says making her way towards me.

"Oh yeah? What for?"

"So I know this morning was the last time I am going to help tutor you before the game tomorrow and we are leaving right after so I wanted to give you my phone number. This way we can facetime if you need help with math or anything in general."

"That would be amazing. If I don't see you later or after the game, I want to let you know I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me out. I won't ever forget it." I wrap my arms around her to secure my words as she reciprocates.

..........

The game with Canada had to be one of the most physical games I have ever played. The amount of fouls and cards given out were ridiculous. There were a couple of minor injuries but the thing everyone felt was frustrated. It was tough but we eventually won by one goal scored by Crystal Dunn. She was at the right place at the right time. To celebrate, we are going to a club where Alex knows the owner which secures me a spot in even though I am underage.