Chapter 21

Cameron Santiago POV

"The damage we were able to see caused by the traumatic brain injury (TBI) are the frequent seizures, a little bit of her memory, and her stuttering. She's feeling frustrated and confused so we paused testing to allow her to see some familiar faces to help calm her down." The doctor said. "I don't want to overwhelm her so three at a time max."

"Alyssa, Cameron, and Christen." Dawn says. "She'll be comfortable with you guys the most at a time like this."

The doctor then guides us to Cameron's room where the lights are dimmed and shades are closed for which I am guessing that the light was bothering her. I can see her bed angled up in a sitting position but she is sleeping or at least I think she is with her eyes closed. She still looks the same with the exception of the removed breathing tube. The doctor knocks on the door before entering which causes Madison to awaken and turn to the source of the noise.

"Hi Madison. I brought some familiar faces that wanted to see you." The doc says and I see Madi smile as she sees us. "Do you know who they are? Can you say their names?"

Madison nods and opens her mouth to talk. "C-Ca-C-Cam. Ch-C-Chris. Al-Alys-Al-Alyssa." She manages to get out. My heart aches when I hear her speak and notice how bad the stuttering was.

"Very good! I'll leave you guys for a few minutes and if you need anything I will be at the nurse's station." With that the doctor leaves giving us some privacy with Madi.

"Hi, kid." Alyssa says sitting on a chair next to the bed and we follow her lead.

"H-Hi." She replies looking around to us.

"You all had us scared there for a second." Alyssa continues and I can see the guilt in Madi's face form. She shuffles uncomfortably.

"I-I'm so-o-rry." Madi stutters out.

"We are just glad you are okay." Christen says trying to not stress her out. "Do you remember what happened?"

Madi shakes her head.

"What's the last thing you remember?" I ask out of curiosity.

"Be-ing do-own- at gam-mme."

"The Netherland's game?" I ask just to clarify and she nods.

"Is-s th-th-t-that why I'm he-re?"

We all look at each other and slowly shake our heads.

"Sweetie, the hit happened a couple of days ago." Christen explains. "You were fine, but as days went on you picked up symptoms of a head injury. Two days ago, you had a long seizure and were rushed to the hospital. They had to put you in a coma to help your brain swelling and clot go away."

I see Madi scrunch her eyebrows together trying to recall what Christen said but I think she comes blank as frustration takes over and she sighs.

"S-s-oo-soccer?"

"They still have to run some tests on you to see the extent of damage the injury caused" I reply knowing what she was asking. As I finished my sentence she rests her head back and closes her eyes, getting even more frustrated. "Don't worry about it. Just rest for now and we can talk about it later."

"I-I do-on't wan-n-t to be alon-ne." Madi says and I see a tear drop stream down her cheek.

"I know it's scary, but we are here for you. Just rest. We'll be here when you wake up." Press strokes Madison's hair to calm her down. Within a few minutes Madi is out like a light.

Madison Marshall POV

Next time I wake up, there are more people in the room than there was before. As I blink the sleep from my eyes, I can see them quietly chattering among themselves. I see teammates but there was someone missing.

"Whe-er-re's m-m-my mom?" I blurt out which causes everyone's conversation to halt and look at me.

"Madison?" Cameron slowly says in confusion.

"Wh-a-t?" I say confused. Everyone is giving me a look of pity.

"Your mom is back in New Jersey. We are in Portland, remember?" Cam explains softly.

All of a sudden I am hit with a couple of memories and remember. How did I forget I was in Portland? How did I forget that my mom isn't really in my life anymore? Then another memory hits me of the locker room fight between Cam and I.

"You okay?" Ash asks from the foot of the bed.

I shake my head. "Who el-s-e knows ab-b-bout my m-m-o-om?" I turn to Cameron and see her bite her lip. "Tell me."

"I'm sorry." Is all she says and I look around the room for another time. I can see they all know. I let out a sigh and nod.

Before I have time to verbally respond, the doctor knocks and enters through the door. Ash, Ali, Press, and Tobin move to the side to make some space as Cam, Alyssa, Emily, and stay next to my bed.

"Hi Madison. How are you feeling?" She asks.

"F-i-ine." I manage to get out.

"Any pain anywhere?"

"He--ea-d." I admit.

"A headache?" She questions and I nod. "How bad from a scale of 0-10?"

"7," Everyone looks even more concerned than before.

"Why didn't you tell anyone?" Alyssa asks, upset that I didn't speak up and I just shrug in response.

"Alright, I'll tell the nurse to give you something."

"How long is her stuttering going to last?" Cam asks which I am glad she did because I am getting frustrated not being able to get words out.

"I can't give you a clear cut answer. Could be in a few hours to a few weeks to forever." The doctor says. 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

decided to give you all another chapter to help cope with being back at school

much love,

-AK