chapter 35

Cameron Santiago POV

"Thank you so much for coming!" I hug the person who I can only pray will help Madison. It's been a difficult week.

"Any updates?" The person replies, but I shake my head.

"Not a word. It's been a week since her mom was last seen." I sigh.

"Why can't you guys get the police involved yet?"

"If they find out her mom is missing, social services are going to get called. We kind of forged her mom's signature on the custody papers so until that goes through we can't do anything else. Did she not tell you this?" I ask, seeing the questioning look on her face.

"We haven't spoken in weeks." She shakes her head. "She kind of fell off the grid so that's why I texted you making sure she's okay only for you to tell me if I could come to help her."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know who else to call. You seemed patient and observant to her needs a while back and I think she needs that again. I don't know if it's stress or if her meds aren't working but her TBI symptoms are coming back as well as her seizures. I just want her to calm down and not stress out too much."

"When is she coming back from-" But her words are cut off by the jiggling of a key unlocking the front door. "Welp, that answers my question."

The door opens and I pray that Madison opens up to our guest.

"Jessie?" Madison squints her eyes. "Jessie," She says again but it comes more of a whisper as she rushes into the girl's arms. Jessie is quick to catch her and tightly hold Madison in the embrace.

"Hi Madi," Jessie says as Madison hides her head in the crook of Jessie's neck.

Madison eventually steps back and looks at Jessie, "I'm so sorry I haven't returned any of your messages or calls. Things have just been hectic lately...Wait, how and why are you here?"

Jessie guides Madi to sit down, "No need to apologize. I've heard things haven't been easy and I was worried about you. I wanted to be here for you for whatever is going on."

"You called her didn't you?" Madi turns to me.

"No, she didn't. I was genuinely worried and got in contact with Cameron and before I knew it, I booked a flight over." Jessie clears the air.

"I didn't even know how much I needed your presence here. Thank you so much for coming."

I excuse myself to allow them to catch up more privately and head outside to facetime Ashlyn.

"How are things going today?" She asks as she sits in the kitchen with Ali cooking something up.

"Jessie flew in and is keeping her distracted for a bit."

"I told you, we could come fly up as well and help with the search."

I shake my head to her comment, "You have Mason to take care of. How has he been feeling by the way?"

"Way better these past few days. The food poisoning seems to be passing from his system. I still don't know what it could have been."

"Ali's cooking," I joke only to be scolded by Ali.

"Ah ah very funny," Ali says coming on the camera waving a wooden spoon she is cooking with.

"I am a comedic woman," I smirk.

"Did you or Madison talk to Tobin or Christen about what's going on yet?" Ali asks.

I sigh, "We don't want them to worry. They've done so much for Madison and we just want to give them a break. As soon as they find out, they are going to get on the next flight over."

"I think they would still rather be in the loop. As you said, they've done a lot so that means they are invested in Madison's life and indirectly, yours as well." Ali chimes in.

"Yes, we aren't going to hide it, but we'll tell them when the time is right."

"I don't think there's a right time for this." Ashlyn states and I can see she really means it.

"You're right." My phone starts vibrating from a number I don't recognize and tell Ashlyn I'll call her right back ending the call with her and picking up the new one. "Hello?"

"Peaches?" A voice shakes from the other line. I pause at the name I haven't heard since I last worked on the street.

"Brandy?" I try to recognize the voice.

"Yes, it's me. Listen, I have to make this quick. You can't have Pixie's daughter snooping around here. Every time she comes, there are more eyes on her. It's dangerous."

"What are you talking about? Madi has been with me constantly other than going to work with her uncle?" As I listen to my own words, I realize she's been using that as an excuse. "Ugh, why is she putting herself in this situation."

"I have to go, but if anything comes up I'll call," Brandy says.

"Thank you. I'll make sure she stops searching over there." With that, I end the call and just sit on the steps of the porch collecting my thoughts not wanting to storm in without being clear headed. Poor girl just wants to find her mom.

After a few minutes, I stand up and head inside to find the two in the kitchen.

"Jessie is hungry so we are making sandwiches. Do you want one?"

"Yes, but I need to speak to you." Madi and Jess just pause what they are doing and look at me as the tone of my voice is serious. "I am not angry with you, first off, but I know you haven't been working with your uncle."

Madi stands there scared that I know the truth. "I just wanted to be useful and look for her."

I walk closer to her, "I know, bub, but I cannot express how dangerous it can get if someone recognizes who you are or why you are just constantly in the area. You'll look like you are trying to get information and they may think you are going to give that information to cops. There are so many ways things can be perceived and none are good. I got a call and you are already having eyes on you."

"But what am I supposed to do?" Madison says frustrated. "I know it's dangerous but there's nothing else we can do!"

"I know you don't want to hear this, but we have to wait it out. We have to be patient."

I see her shed a tear before she speaks again, "It's been a week, Cameron! A week!" She emphasizes and I can see the pain in her eyes.

"I know. I know." I close the space between us and embrace her.