chapter 5

I wake up to see it dark outside. I must have slept the entire afternoon. I look up and over to see Lys busy on her computer, but as soon as she sees me awake she hops out of her bed to mine.

"How are you feeling? You okay?" She quickly asks.

"Better than ever. Really." I pat her leg.

"We were confused when you were walking off the pitch and nobody would tell us anything. And during halftime everyone just saw you sleeping in the exam room. They said you were dehydrated."

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you guys. I'll make sure I keep my fluid intake up."

"Oh we all are going to be keeping an extra eye on you." She says jokingly but I know she's serious. "Almost everyone on the team peeked their head into our room when we got back to physically see you were okay and just resting."

"Now that's a little creepy but I know they meant it in the best way possible. That's cute. You want to go get coffee?"

"Mads it is eight o'clock at night."

"So?" I ask, wondering what her point was.

"I'll ask Mal, Rose, and them." I say texting them and get replies instantly asking if I was okay and then agreeing if I was up for it we can go. "Mission get a coffee is a go." I wink at Alyssa.

"Well take it easy, it has been a long day for you."

"Yes mom." I say sarcastically.

"Take that back." Alyssa gasps.

"What are you going to do about it?" I laugh pushing her buttons.

"Take it back." She says tickling my neck until I had to scream mercy. "Now you know not to call me that again."

"Damn, chill Naeher." I laugh pushing her off me. I get dressed and about to head out the door when I quickly go to Naeher's bed and pressure point her neck.

"You fucker." She says swatting my hand from her neck.

"See you later, loser!" I say put my hand in an L formation on my forehead.

"What are you five?"

"What are you five?" I say mocking her. She goes to say something but I leave wanting the last word in our bicker.

"Youngin!" I feel someone jump on my back.

"Mally!" I say and turn around to see Lindsey, Rose, and Sonnet walking down the hallway.

"How you feeling, buddy?" Lindsey asks.

"Much better! And a much needed coffee is needed."

"Let's go, then" Sonnet wraps her arm over my shoulder and we head out to the coffee shop.

"Your coffee is on me tonight." Sonnet says. "It is my way of congratulating you on your first goal on the national team."

"Why thank you!" I then remember something. "Did we end up winning?"

"All thanks to you!" Mal says. "Your goal was the only goal scored the entire game."

"Aye, what can I say." I say flicking my hair over my shoulder.

"Ahaha don't let it get to your head." Lindsey says.

"Let me just live in the moment." I close my eyes. "Okay I'm done."

"How's your boyfriend, Linds?" Rose asks as we sit at a table outside.

"Really good. We facetimed after the match and he kept hyping me up. It's going to be our one year anniversary in less than a month." She says blushing.

"How's you boyfriend, Rose?" I ask.

"Are you a comedian now?" Rose chuckles. "You know I don't have one."

"Mhmm, then who is that guy you keep posting with?" I question her. The other back me up.

"That's my cousin!" We all burst out laughing as we finally found out who he was.

"Well you guys aren't a thing right? If you are I won't judge." I say laughing.

"I'll judge hard." Mal interrupts making us keep laughing.

"NO!"  Rose says feeling a little ganged up on.

"We are just messing with you Rose." I pat her head.

"Y'all are mean." She pouts.