chapter 27

Madison Marshall POV
"They won't clear me to play!" I shout as I finish up my phone call with Vlatko who relayed what the doctors told him. "I am too much of a risk with the amount of seizures I have a day."

"I'm sorry, Madison." Christen and Cameron come over to the couch I'm on to comfort me.

"Soccer is everything at this point. It's how I support myself." I drop my head into my hands.

"We'll figure it out." Cameron says.

"How-w? Unl-ess my seizures-s magic-c-cally stop, I won't play." I say stressed and frustrated which brings my stutter back. The stuttering is an indicator that I am getting too worked up and only comes back during moments like this.

"I may have an idea." Tobin says walking into the room shifting our attention to her. She has a laptop in her hand and sits on the floor in front of us. "Look at this trial."

"I can't read yet, Tobin." She nods and continues.

"Okay, so basically there is a trial taking place to reduce seizures. What will happen is they take you off your medication slowly so you don't have withdrawals but your seizures will probably increase because of it. Once the medication is taken out of your system, your old medication will be replaced by cannabis."

"Tobin are you serious? Weed?" Cameron slaps Tob's shoulder.

"What it's legit." She turns and faces us. "Read it."

"What are the results?" I ask.

"No. No, there's no way you're taking cannabis!" Cameron argues.

"If there's any chance my seizures can lessen, I will try anything."

"There were results within two weeks. Once they got the correct dosage, seizures went down by 90%." Tobin says.

Christen then looks at me conflicted. "I think if it really has those results, you should try it. I don't like the idea of you taking marijuana, but if it's for medical purposes, it's different."

Cameron stands up and walks a few steps before turning to us. "You guys can't be serious?!"

I ignore her and turn to Tobin. "May you talk to my doctor and see if she can get me in?" She nods and gets up.

"Cameron, this is Madison's choice and it's for her medical condition." Christen tries to get Cameron to understand. "It may be her only chance to play again."

"If they tell you you can participate, are you really going to go through with it?" She looks at me.

I nod. "I need to at least try, whether it works or not. Soccer means a lot to me. It's everything."

"Fine. I'll support you, but if anything feels off or weird, we are done with it." I get up and hug her knowing her support means the most to me.

"Thank you." I muffle into her shirt.

............

I was screened to participate in the trial over a week ago. I got phoned yesterday that I got accepted and am cleared to get started. The first step is to wean me off my current medication slowly. Today is day two without my meds and I am having nine seizures a day. Tobin, Christen, and Cam have made a makeshift bed on the living room floor so they can keep an eye on me. This way I am in the line of view of them at practically all times. I don't lock the door when I use the bathroom just in case I have one in there and need help. I barely leave the house and if I do it's to go to the backyard. I even had to stop physical therapy.

"Madison. You're okay. Just squeeze my hands if and when you can hear me. You're okay." I hear a comforting voice and touch stroking my hair. "You're okay Madison."

My eyes flutter open and I am very confused.

"You had another episode. It's over. You're okay just take some deep breaths and relax." A voice says, but my mind is too foggy to see or think straight. I don't know how much time passes, but I feel things clear up a little more. I don't speak up, but give the hands holding mine a squeeze letting them know I'm coming out of the postictal state.

"There you go, Madi. Now move your legs a little." Another voice says. I listen. "Good! Good."

"Tired." I manage to say under a whisper.

"I know, sweetie." A voice strained. "We are going to move you to your bed."

I look at my surroundings as the fog in my head clears and notice I am laid in the grass. There are two figures around me which I assume are Cameron and Christen.

I feel hands grab me to stand me up and then someone fully picks me up. I look up and notice it's Tobin. "I'm sorry."

"No, kid. Shh just rest, no apologies." She tells me and with that I close my eyes as she lays me down. I'm out like a light tired of the constant seizures.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I know this is a short chapter, but it's a holiday of giving and I wanted to express how thankful I am for all of you supporting this book by posting a chapter. All your support doesn't go unnoticed!
Happy Thanksgiving and much love to you all,
~AK