chapter 28

Madison Marshall POV

"Tobin, pass the ball!" I shout over at her in the backyard as we are playing 2v2 with Cameron and Christen. Cameron easily manages to get the ball from Tobin which she ends up passing to Press who scores an imaginary goal. "This is why I like being on Christen's team! She listens to me."

"No way, kid!" Tobin replies back as she grabs the ball from Christen's hand to place back in the middle. "You and Christen are like Cameron and Kelley on the field."

"She does have a point." Cameron turns to me and chuckles.

"Madi, you hear that? They fear us on the field." Christen laughs and gives me a high five.

"Exactly why they should keep us together so they can train against us for practice." I explain and everyone just grins.

The atmosphere has been so light since I started my new trial. My symptoms are virtually nonexistent and if they do come out it's because of frustration or stress. I am able to read a few small words. My stutter is relatively gone except for stressful moments and so are my seizures. I talked with the team doctors and they have reevaluated their decision to allow me to play which I can now. My medical information is private so the federation doesn't know what type of medicine I am taking. The doctors told me since it's for medical purposes, they can't discriminate or kick me off. I feel the most normal I have been in a long time.
"Why don't you recommend that to Vlatko when we see him in a couple of days." Tobin says.

"You know what? I will!" I say sounding firm in my beliefs, but end up cracking a smile.

"How does it feel knowing you are able to play on the pitch again?" Cam asks.

"Didn't think the day would ever come." I truthfully answer. "I really don't think I would have been able to reach the point I am now without all your help." I look at the three of them.

"Always, kid!" Tobin comes and taps my arm with her hand and the rest nod.

"Christen, can we go pick up ice cream at that special store as a pre-return celebration?"

I give her puppy dog eyes knowing she can't resist. "Stop with that face!" She laughs. "Let's go before you come up with more things you want."

I jump in excitement. This place Christian introduced me to is amazing and I don't even like ice cream like that. We quickly grab the keys and money before we head out. We rock to music in the car with the windows down enjoying the short trip.

"Can we get one carton of cookies n' cream and one pistachio." I tell the woman at the register getting our order and go to hand her cash before a hand is stopping me.

"I got it." Christian smiles. "My treat."

"You can't do that," I chuckle. "I'm treating you guys to my return." I finish off with giving the lady my money in exchange for the cartons of ice cream.

"You have trials to worry about and therapies." Chris shakes her head as we walk out.

"My treat." I simply say in a tone she can't argue with.

"Fine. Fine. I can't believe you even like pistachio ice cream." She gives me a fake disgusted look.

I stare at her before replying, "Don't come at me for what I like. At least I'll have all of it for myself."

"Ahaha, listen Madison there's something I've been needing to bring up and talk to you about." The tone changes as she lowers the music in the car she just turned on. I turn in my seat so all my attention is on her. "You need to hear me out."

I nod for her to continue.

"After the whole hospital situation, social services have been looking into your home life because they were never able to contact your mom when the hospital needed different consents signed. If it wasn't for the signed forms giving Dawn guardianship of you at camp, decisions wouldn't have been made."

I stare at her confused as to where this is coming from. This isn't a recent thing. "There's more, isn't there?"

"They've been questioning some of our teammates and staff if we know anything about your home life."

"And nobody mentioned anything, right?" I whisper feeling angry wash over me.

"They couldn't lie." Chris says with a face full of guilt.

I feel tears fill my eyes knowing the consequences if the truth comes out. "They?"

"Listen, they weren't aware of what was going to happen."

"Who's they?!" I feel myself snap and see Christian flinch.

She shakes her head. "Listen, nothing is happening now but it could, so Ali and Ash are trying to figure out ways on getting guardianship of you because it's quicker and better in the eyes of the judge if a couple is married just in case anything happens. Social services want an interview with you soon to ask you some questions as well."

I open my mouth to respond but I don't have words as I try to wrap my head about the news. "Can you just drive back to the house."

"Madi," Chris sighs but I shake my head not wanting to talk. It's just one thing after the other.

When we get back, Christian takes the ice cream to the kitchen and I head to my room avoiding everyone just trying to think of what's happening. I have no doubt Chris is telling them what conversation we just had and I'm guessing she told them to give me space because nobody enters my room. I take a shower to clear my mind and calm me down before getting dressed and heading to the kitchen.

"So I'm guessing you guys voted Chris to tell me the news." I walk in seeing all their eyes on me so instinctively I wanted to crack the tension in the room.

"She's the best at breaking down good and bad news." Cameron nervously chuckles.

"Here's your ice cream." Chris passes me a bowl. "I'm sorry, but the parking lot felt like the best place to break the news. I'm sorry if I ruined your celebration ice cream run."

"It's fine. I appreciate you telling me."

"We would have told you sooner, but we didn't want any more stress on you so we decided we would tell you once you've gotten better and then the trial helped a lot so we waited until you were in a good space." Tobin speaks up.

"Thanks." I say understanding why they waited to tell me.