chapter 18

Cameron Santiago POV

I don't know what's happening with Madison. She has been acting so out of character and I am beginning to worry more and more. Since the confrontation yesterday, she has been ignoring me and the rest of the team. To add to my suspicions, I received a text from Jessie Fleming this morning wanting to talk about Madison.

"Hi, Fleming." I say facetiming her.

"Hi Cameron." She replies looking serious but manages to smile. "Listen, I'm worried about Madison."

"How so?" I question.

"I don't know if she told you anything about her health but she hasn't been the same since she was hit and taken down from the Netherlands game."

"I know she has been having trouble sleeping and forgetting a little but that's all." I say not knowing the extent of what has actually been going on.

"There's more. She promised she would tell you but I guess she didn't. I tried calling her this  morning but she keeps sending me to voicemail." She pauses and I remember Madi is currently avoiding me altogether. "Um, so I talked to her yesterday and she mentioned failing her calc test. When I asked her why, she said she had been having trouble focusing and everything on the page was just all jumbled up. When I questioned her more she said it's been happening since she got hit. She then mentioned how she can't remember certain events taking place, it's as though they never happened." My mind goes back to her forgetting the plans we made for coffee but she covered it up like she just forgot but I guess she never truly remembered. That makes me think of how many more she covered up.

"Shit, Jess this is bad." I run my hand through my hair. "She has also been aggressive recently too. It's out of character for her." I say thinking back to the locker room situation.

"I think she has a head injury but she refuses to get checked out. I need you to make sure she does. This is serious. I have seen many head injuries go untreated and it doesn't end well. I don't want to see her hurting anymore." Jessie says her voice full of concern just wanting her friend to be okay.

"Fuck, okay thank you for letting me know. I'll handle it right now." I say thinking how bad this could get especially with  her epilepsy.

"Keep me posted, please." I nod and hang up sitting in my thoughts. This is super bad.

I make my way to my room and see Alyssa and Madi laying on their beds doing their own thing. I pick up some of Madi's clothes and throw them on her bed.

"Get dressed. We are taking a trip to the ER." I say which catches Alyssa's attention as well.

"What are you talking about?" Madi says taking her clothes and throwing them on the ground. "Are you okay?"

"I'm perfectly fine! It's you who isn't okay."

"And what would make you think that?" She questions me.

"I had an eye opening phone call from Jessie not too long ago." I see her face drop. "So when were you planning on telling me?"

"I told you I can take care of myself." I see her getting worked up.

"Not telling anyone you are presenting symptoms of a head injury is not called 'taking care of yourself' Madi!"

"I don't want to argue with you right now. I have a killer headache that I just want to sleep off."

"So another symptom. Things are only getting worse."

"Just get off my back, Cameron. I'm not your responsibility." She says and as I go to rebuttal she starts to sway and I can see her knees about to buckle. I guess Alyssa noticed too as she hops out of bed and grabs Madison lowering her to the ground since she was closer. Within seconds, Madison tenses up and starts to shake. I know she is having a seizure and look at my watch to start the timer. Alyssa and I have never encountered Madison having an episode like this but she mentioned it a couple of times and what to do.